Snapchat is the most popular platform for teens. The platform has become irresistible for its amazing features and filters that keep teens glued to the platform and sharing snaps.
At the same time, users have complained of issues arising when trying to load snaps. Have you faced an issue where your Snapchat videos won’t play despite allowing them to reload? You are not alone.
There are various reasons why Snapchat videos won’t play. The common reasons include technical glitches with the Snapchat app or your phone, a bug, overloaded conversation, issues with the cache, and network errors. The good thing is that these causes are easy to fix, and you can try each solution until you find the one that works for you.
This guide offers the common problems that lead to your Snapchat videos not playing. We will discuss each possible cause in detail and offer its solution, and when you try each method at a time, one will eventually fix the problem with your Snapchat not playing videos.
Why Won’t My Snapchat Play Videos?
Snapchat is all about the snaps, and it can get frustrating when the videos can’t play.
Luckily, we have the solution for the error.
We will describe each probable cause and offer its solutions in detail.
Reason #1: Technical Glitches with Your Phone
Anytime you face problems with Snapchat or other social platforms, the first thing to check should be your phone.
It could be that the services on your phone are not performing as they should, or there are issues with your phone’s hardware hindering apps from functioning properly.
The solution here is to restart your phone using the steps below.
- Press and hold the volume and power button simultaneously.
- Drag the slider to power off the iPhone.
- Long-press the power button to power on the phone.
- Press and hold the power button.
- Click the “restart” option when the menu appears.
- Your phone will then automatically restart within a few seconds.
- Once your phone restarts, open Snapchat and try loading the videos to see if that fixed the error.
Reason #2: Cache Issues
The cache is local storage that allows apps to load quickly by offering temporary storage to common and recently accessed data.
If the Snapchat cache is overloaded, it gets problematic and can be one of the causes of your Snapchat not playing videos.
Here, the solution is to clear the cache using the steps below:
- Open the settings app on your phone.
- Navigate to “Apps”.
- Under “App Info”, locate and click on Snapchat.
- Next, click on “Storage”.
- Lastly, tap the “Clear Cache” option.
That’s it. Snapchat will sync again, and when you open it, the problem will have been fixed.
Reason #3: Overloaded Conversations
If you love sharing snaps on Snapchat, you likely have plenty of conversations that may affect the loading of videos.
If that’s the case, you must delete the received and sent snaps to give Snapchat room to play videos.
This method works, especially when the Snapchat videos refuse to play but only if sent from specific friends.
To clear the conversation, do the following:
- Open your Snapchat account.
- Click on your Bitmoji at the top.
- Tap the settings icon at the top corner.
- Under the settings page, click on “Clear Conversation”.
- Your conversations will get listed. Click on the “X” on the right of the conversation you want to clear.
Remember, our key focus is on the friends whose Snapchat videos won’t play. So, ensure you clear their conversation and ask them to resend.
Reason #4: Network Issues
If you have an issue with your network, it can affect how your videos load on Snapchat.
It could be your network speed is weak, or your subscription is depleted. For this case, consider switching between Wi-Fi and cellular data.
Alternatively, try browsing to confirm that your network is not the reason why Snapchat videos won’t load. You can also try restarting your router if you notice your Wi-Fi is not working and check that you have an active data subscription.
Reason #5: Snapchat Software Issues
Is your Snapchat app updated?
Most technical glitches arise when you use an outdated app version. It is recommended to stay updated and use the latest version of Snapchat, as updates come as patches for bugs and other technical errors.
Follow the steps below to update your Snapchat app.
- Open the Google Play Store app on your phone.
- Click on your Google profile at the top.
- Click the “Manage app & device” option.
- Locate “Updates available” and tap on it.
- Scroll and find Snapchat, then click the “Update” button next to it.
- Open the App Store on your phone.
- Click on your profile icon and scroll down to check if there are any updates.
- If any update is available, click the “Update” button next to Snapchat.
With Snapchat updated, your problem should be fixed, and your Snapchat videos play as they normally do.
Reason #6: Snapchat Server Down
Sometimes, Snapchat can have errors on their side where their servers are down, meaning users can’t enjoy the service.
One easy way of telling if the Snapchat servers are down is by checking on the social platforms of the official Snapchat company for an update.
Still, you can check for third-party detectors to tell the server status of Snapchat. If they are down, you must wait till Snapchat resolves the error from their side before the normal operation of Snapchat is regained.
When using Snapchat, you are guaranteed to encounter errors at one point. However, this guide arms you with common causes of Snapchat errors and how to resolve them.
Besides, we’ve discussed why Snapchat videos won’t play and presented solutions for each cause. Furthermore, we’ve seen the steps to follow to resolve most problems quickly on iOS and Android.