Instagram bans accounts that violate its community guidelines to keep the platform as safe as possible.
Sometimes, it’s not the account outrightly but a post the person makes.
Regarding posts, Instagram is not always accurate, and you can file a complaint or request a review if you’re sure the post does not violate community guidelines.
So, how can you request a review on Instagram?
If you want to request a review on Instagram, you can do so from your account status or use the support inbox. When you do this from either of these methods, you can check the status of your complaint, and when they come to a resolution, you’ll get a push notification. With Instagram, you can appeal to the Oversight board if your review has not been resolved.
In this article, we’ll see the key points in Instagram’s community guidelines, what it takes to request a review on Instagram, the process involved, and how to appeal to the Oversight board.
What Are Instagram’s Community Guidelines?
Instagram’s community guidelines are rules that all users must follow to ensure an authentic and safe space.
The guidelines include a few points a post can unintentionally violate, which may result in post removal or account suspension.
These are some of the important guidelines you’re not expected to violate on Instagram:
- Share original photos and videos that were taken by you or that you have the right to share.
- Do not post nudity or porn.
- Do not spam accounts with messages, comments, or likes. You’re to engage in meaningful interactions genuinely.
- Respect the other users of Instagram. Make your interactions free of threats, hate speech, and shameful content.
- Do not promote or glorify self-injury; keep graphic content away from the platform when sharing newsworthy events.
These are the major conditions your posts are not meant to go against. However, bots tend to interpret some content as relating to graphic content or nudity.
As a result, Instagram can be inaccurate by taking down posts that do not violate these community guidelines.
Most news and media outlets with accounts on Instagram can encounter this frequently when sharing information and happenings worldwide.
Such posts can be important; you can ask Instagram to review its decision when your post is taken down.
How Do You Ask Instagram for a Review?
There are two ways to ask Instagram for a review on flagged posts and accounts.
The first known method is through the “Account Status” accessible through your account settings, and the second is via the “Support Requests” accessible from your account settings.
Method #1: Through Your Account Status
Follow these steps:
- Launch your Instagram application.
- Navigate to your profile page by tapping your profile picture at the bottom right.
- Tap on the menu icon at the top right of the profile page.
- Tap on “Settings” and select “Account.”
- Tap on “Account Status.”
- Tap on the post that was taken down and click “Request a review.”
- Click on “Submit a request,” then “Done.”
However, if you don’t want to use the first method, you can use the support inbox from Instagram:
- Launch your Instagram app and navigate to your profile page by clicking the profile icon.
- On your profile page, tap on the three-line menu at the top right of the page.
- Tap on “Settings” and then tap on “Help.”
- Tap the “Support Requests” tab and select “Violations.”
- Check the decision sent to you about removing a post.
- Click on the “More options” tab at the bottom.
- Tap on the tab “Request Review,” then tap “Close.”
Instagram prioritizes its users and will always take another look at automatically removed posts if the user asks. When Instagram has made its decision, the user will get a notification.
If the content was taken down by mistake, Instagram will repost and apologize for the inconvenience caused.
However, if the review still does not favor your request and you are sure you’re not violating any rule, you can appeal to the Oversight Board on Instagram.
However, you should note that the Oversight Board selects its cases, so your post might still not get reviewed.
Once you request this review via either account status or support inbox, you can check for its status at any time by returning to either of the tabs.
How To Appeal to the Instagram Oversight Board
You can only appeal to the Oversight Board after you’ve requested a review process. When you do, and the decision does not favor you, you can go to the Oversight Board.
However, you must be eligible to appeal even after requesting a review. To check eligibility, navigate to the violations tab from the second method in the above section.
When you do, tap on the “Removal decision” sent, and if the message contains an Oversight Board reference number, you’re eligible.
The number usually starts with IG, followed by eight numbers and letters. However, you will not be able to appeal if you do not see the reference number.
If you’re eligible and want to appeal, copy the reference number and follow these instructions:
- Go to the Oversight Board website and log in with your Instagram account.
- When you’ve logged in, answer the questions provided.
Your responses will help Instagram understand how it made the wrong decision in taking down your content. When the team comes to a decision, you’ll get a notification.
You need to appeal within 15 days after the first decision was made, or you’ll not be able to appeal to the board.
With this guide, you can request a review for any post of yours that Instagram takes down.
However, ensure you’re not violating any of the guidelines; hence, the whole process will be futile.