Technology has revolutionized the way we communicate with each other. Gone are the days of waiting hours or even days to respond to a message.
Instead, we now have many options, including WhatsApp and regular texting. But what is the difference between the two?
WhatsApp uses an internet connection to send and receive messages, while regular texts use cellular connections. This article will further explore the differences between the two, discussing the pros and cons of each.
We’ll cover costs, features, and security, helping you decide what is right. So, whether you’re new to instant messaging or looking to switch things up, stick around, and let’s dive in.
What Is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is an instant messaging app that allows users to send and receive messages, images, audio, video, GIFs, and other types of content. In addition, WhatsApp will enable users to make phone calls, send money, and conduct video calls.
It’s different from regular texting because it uses the internet instead of a cellular connection. You can get it on Android and iOS devices.
Even better, you can use it on your computer too, but it’s different from using it on the app. Oh, and can you make free voice calls and send video and audio messages, photos, and documents too? Pretty neat.
What Is Regular Texting?
Regular texting is when you send text messages using your cellular network. You can do it anywhere worldwide as long as you have a cellular plan. But, as I mentioned earlier, WhatsApp uses the internet instead of a cellular connection.
You can use regular texting on any phone. Of course, you can also text from a computer, but it’s less cool than using it on the app.
And a fun fact, regular texting also enables sending photos and documents too!
We bet you want to know the features both apps have to offer. Well, Here’s the deal.
Both WhatsApp and regular texting allow you to send and receive text messages, send photos and make voice calls. But WhatsApp takes it a step further by allowing you to make video calls with other users who have the app installed.
The main difference is that WhatsApp has more features, and it’s built for instant messaging, where you can have a video call, share location and status, send documents, and more. At the same time, Regular texting is more focused on text messaging and sending photos.
So, if you’re looking for more features and instant messaging, WhatsApp is the way to go. But regular texting will work fine if you need to send and receive text messages.
Regarding security, both WhatsApp and regular texting have great features to keep your information safe. For example, both allow you to enable two-step authentication and block unwanted contacts.
WhatsApp has a more robust security system; WhatsApp allows you to verify your identity digitally through your phone number, a code sent to your phone, or a verified email address. While regular texting only enables you to verify your identity digitally through your phone number.
So, if security is your top priority, WhatsApp is your best bet; it has more options to keep your account secure. But both will keep your information safe.
Pros and Cons of WhatsApp and Regular Texting
Now that we know the difference between WhatsApp and regular texting, let’s break down the pros and cons of each.
Those are the pros of WhatsApp:
- It allows you to easily and quickly send text messages, photos, videos, voice messages, and documents to other WhatsApp users.
- You can make free voice and video calls to other WhatsApp users.
- WhatsApp has a robust security system, which includes enabling two-step authentication, blocking contacts, and digital verification of your identity.
- It is available on IOS, Android, and browsers, making it easy to use on different devices.
Those are the cons of WhatsApp:
- It requires an internet connection to work, so you may need help using it in areas with weak or no internet access.
- Some people may be concerned about WhatsApp’s data collection practices and how the company uses the data it collects.
- WhatsApp has a large user base, which makes it a popular target for hackers and scammers.
Regular Texting Pros
Those are the pros of regular texting:
- It is a built-in feature on most mobile phones, so you don’t need to download any additional apps.
- It is a reliable way to send messages, even if you don’t have a good internet connection.
- SMS is a simple and easy-to-use communication method; it doesn’t require much technical knowledge.
- SMS is a cost-effective communication method, as it is often included in your phone plan’s minutes or texts.
Regular Texting Cons
Those are the cons of regular texting:
- Regular texts can be limited in length, so you may need to send multiple messages to convey all the information you want to share.
- SMS messages are not end-to-end encrypted, which means that your messages are not as secure as they would be if you were using an encrypted messaging app.
- SMS messages can be more expensive than messaging apps, especially if you are sending messages to people in other countries.
So, when considering the difference between WhatsApp and regular texting, these are the pros and cons.
WhatsApp might be a better choice if you want to use the app while traveling or in places with spotty network coverage. However, regular texting might be a better option if you’re looking to save on data usage.
Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preferences and needs.
WhatsApp is a cool way to send photos, videos, voice messages, and documents! Plus, you can make free voice and video calls too.
And the best part? WhatsApp has a really great security system. You can use two-step authentication and block contacts if you need to. And it’s easier to verify your identity digitally too.
Regular texting only lets you verify your identity through your phone number. So if you’re wondering what the difference is between WhatsApp and regular texting, we recommend using WhatsApp. But it’s totally up to you!