If you’ve been a regular Snapchat user since its inception in 2011, you know the social media app has seen tremendous improvements, including growth in features and complexity.
To balance the app’s stability for regular users but still maintain the app’s progress through the latest features, Snapchat introduced another version called Snapchat Beta.
Snapchat Beta allows users to test new Snapchat features and updates before everyone else. Initially, Snapchat Beta was only available to Android users. But it was later introduced on the iOS platform.
To learn more about Snapchat Beta and how to become a tester, read this article to the end.
- Overview of Snapchat Beta
- How To Join Snapchat Beta Testing
- Features Available to Android Snapchat Beta Testers
- How To Leave Snapchat Beta
Overview of Snapchat Beta
As mentioned earlier, Snapchat Beta is a program that allows users to test the app’s new updates and features before introducing them to regular users. A Beta program is critical for gathering information about the new feature’s usability, problems, and bugs.
You can become a Snapchat Beta tester on either Android or iOS platforms. Snapchat for Android has two publicly available versions. These are stable and Beta. The stable version is the usual Snapchat app, while the Beta version, as explained in this article, has new features available for testing.
Previously, it was possible to opt into the Beta Snapchat version through a link in the settings menu of the regular Snapchat app. Unfortunately, this link is no longer available. Currently, you need to take a few more steps to become a Snapchat Beta tester on Android.
Next, we delve into steps to becoming a Snapchat Beta tester and how you can opt out when you need to.
How To Join Snapchat Beta Testing
You can join Snapchat Beta testing on the web, on your Android phone, or on your iOS device. Here is how to do it:
Method #1: On the Web
To join Snapchat Beta on the web:
- Go to the Google Play store and open the Snapchat Beta OPT-In link.
- Below the app information, there is a blue button with ‘Become a Tester.’ Click on it.
- Next, tap on the Download prompt on the page.
- After downloading and installing, the app’s name should read Snapchat Beta.
Method #2: Join on Android
Use the steps below to join Snapchat Beta on Android:
- Open Google Play Store and enter ‘Snapchat Beta’ in the search bar.
- After the app appears in the search results, click on it.
- Scroll down the page until you see the ‘Join’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘Join’ button. A pop-up window with a confirmation prompt will appear. Click on it to confirm.
- Wait until the app title includes the word ‘Beta‘ to ensure you use the updated version. Remember, this process may take a few minutes.
Method #3: Join on IOS
Use the steps below to join Snapchat Beta on your iOS device:
- Go to the App Store and install the TestFlight app.
- Open this link on your device to join & install the Snapchat beta.
After joining Snapchat Beta, you can now see and control new features not yet available to other Snapchat users. For this reason, it would help to join Snapchat Beta communities and pages. It’s also essential to leave user comments and reviews on the appropriate pages to allow the app developers to improve features and fix any bugs.
Features Available to Android Snapchat Beta Testers
Here are some types of Snapchat features to expect as a Beta tester.
These updates are part of the new app version. Typically, client-side updates and features are available to all users, but they don’t happen regularly.
Server-Side A/B Tests
Server-side updates offer specific features to a limited number of users. When there are some server-side updates, some users may report having Snapchat features that others don’t.
This type of update offers features to a broader percentage of users than server-side updates but still not the entire user population.
The main difference between gradual roll-outs and server-side tests is that, eventually, gradual roll-outs offer the feature to all users. On the other hand, it’s possible never to receive a server-side feature at all.
How To Leave Snapchat Beta
Leaving Snapchat Beta is as easy as joining. Here’s how to do it.
Method #1: On the Web
If you joined Snapchat Beta through the web, use the steps below to leave:
- Go to Google Play Store and open the Snapchat Beta OPT-In link.
- Scroll down the page until you see a ‘Leave the Program’ button. Click on it.
- Next, tap on the ‘Download‘ on Google play link.
- Clicking on the link will redirect you to a Google Play Store page. Next to the Snapchat icon, you’ll see an ‘Uninstall’ option on this page. Tap on it.
- You can go back to Google Play Store to download the regular or stable Snapchat.
Method #2: On Android
Here’s how to leave Snapchat Beta if you are using an Android phone:
- Go to Google Play Store and enter ‘Snapchat‘ in the search bar.
- Click on the ‘Snapchat app in the search results. Likely at the top of the list.
- After clicking on the app, scroll down the page until you see the ‘Snapchat Beta’ section.
- In this section, you’ll see a ‘Leave’ button. Click on it.
- Leaving Snapchat Beta on your Android device may take some time. If you can still see Beta features after leaving, give the process some time to finalize.
Method #3: on iOS
Follow these steps to un-enroll yourself from Snapchat Beta on iOS devices:
- Open the TestFlight app on your device.
- Select Snapchat.
- Scroll down and tap “Stop Testing,” and confirm the action.
- Uninstall Snapchat.
- Re-install Snapchat.
As you’ve learned, Snapchat Beta is an exclusive version of Snapchat available to users who want to test updates and features not yet available to other users.
Using Snapchat Beta is an excellent way to help Snapchat’s app developers rate a feature’s usability, problems, and bugs.
Snapchat Beta offers updates and features not yet available to other Snapchat users. By joining Beta and becoming a tester, you help the app’s developers with information and reviews about how well these features perform.
Joining Snapchat Beta is pretty straightforward. Go to Google Play Store and enter ‘Snapchat Beta’ in the search bar. Click on the Snapchat app on the search results. On the app page, scroll down to the Beta section and click on the option ‘Join .’ After that, click on the confirmation pop-up.