Sometimes you just want to say what’s on your mind while staying anonymous. Reddit is the perfect platform to go to when the mind wanders. You’ll find tons of throwaway accounts for this purpose as well.
There is a hub of like-minded people trying to make conversations, answer questions and post random facts. So how do you engage with such posts while concealing your account on Reddit?
You need to log out of your current account (if you have any) and Sign up for a new profile to make a throwaway account on Reddit. This will redirect you to further steps where you can create your temporary throwaway account while keeping any other Reddit account you may already have.
There’s only one method to create a throwaway Reddit account. Still, it is essential to understand why you would need a Throwaway account in the first place.
This article will teach you how to create a throwaway account on Reddit and how to switch your status offline. We will also bring out some reasons why you might need a throwaway account.
- Why Do You Need a Throwaway Account?
- How To Create Your Own Throwaway Account on Reddit
- How To Become Offline on Reddit
Apart from your main Reddit account, you can use a throwaway account for reasons you don’t want to include your name or identity. Any comments or questions you ask will also be concealed, like your identity with a throwaway account.
There are many reasons why you would prefer a throwaway Reddit account, such as:
- Ask or discuss any political matters.
- Ask or disclose any private or embarrassing matters.
- Seek advice about an employer or a company you are working for.
- Discuss any financial problems or questions.
- Make confessions.
Since the reasons to make a Reddit throwaway account are clear now, let’s see how we can create the account itself now.
How To Create Your Own Throwaway Account on Reddit
Since Reddit accounts are free to make, you can create as many accounts as possible. You can even stay signed in to your current Reddit account before using your throwaway account. You’ll only have to open an incognito or private browning window to use your alternate account.
Here are the steps to make your Reddit throwaway account:
- Launch your browser and search for Reddit.com.
- Tap on Sign Up at the top-right corner of the page. Sign out of an account if you’re already signed in.
- Choose a username and password. It is important that your username and password are unique and do not match your other Reddit account credentials.
- You may have to tick the CAPTCHA box, so click on that.
- Click on Sign Up.
- Make sure every category that has been selected for you is de-selected before you click on Finish.
After following these steps, you will be signed in to your new Reddit throwaway account.
When you usually make a Reddit account or any other account, you must enter an email address. Still, you must have noticed that Reddit did not ask for that when making your throwaway account. That is because you don’t need one for a throwaway account.
Adding an email can be helpful in case you forget your password. Still, if you want to use Reddit for a throwaway account, you don’t necessarily have to add one.
Since we are on the topic of staying anonymous on Reddit, it might be helpful to know how you can activate your offline status while using Reddit.
How To Become Offline on Reddit
The feature that shows that you’re online is the “Online Presence Indicator” on Reddit. It is used to inform people to post and comment more rigorously. This feature can help notify users of whoever is more readily available to answer or engage in a conversation.
However, some users have shown their reservations regarding their online status because it trumps their privacy. There are slight differences in going offline on your desktop and mobile phone.
How To Become Offline on Reddit From a Desktop
Here’s how you can hide the online status of your Reddit account from a desktop:
- Log in to your Reddit account on your desktop.
- Tap on your Avatar to open the drop-down menu.
- Under Online Status, you will see it’s turned On.
- If it is toggled, you may turn it off. It should be grey after turning it off.
- Now your status will be offline.
How To Become Offline on Reddit From Your Smartphone
If you’re using Reddit on your smartphone, then follow these steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your smartphone.
- Tap the three-line icon on the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click on Settings.
- Uncheck the checkbox next to “Show Online Status.”
Now you’re officially offline from your smartphone too.
Anonymity is essential for privacy, and sometimes it is a must when talking about sensitive matters. With how public and social Reddit is, you must make sure you can network the way you want without breaching your security.
Fortunately, Reddit is aware of this need and allows you to create temporary throwaway accounts and will enable you to decide your online or offline statuses.
Yes, you can. You can just click on your Avatar, go to settings and choose to delete your account.
Upon deactivation, your account will be permanently deleted after 14 days.
No, it will not! Reddit is a social media site which means you are in complete control. It is free to use, so your account will only be deleted if you request it.