LinkedIn is a platform that aims at helping people create connections that will likely offer them opportunities, especially for job seekers.
Creating connections takes time, and LinkedIn’s algorithm has a way of ranking your connections.
However, sometimes you may feel some connections are unhealthy and need to remove them. It could be someone annoyingly messaging you or doing other unpleasing things.
If you have a case that calls for you to remove a connection on LinkedIn, there are two options that you can use. You can delete the connection from your network connections page or by visiting their LinkedIn profile. On their profile, clicking the “More” button will offer the “Remove connection” option. Similarly, visiting your connections page will also get the “Remove connection” option.
This guide focuses on removing a LinkedIn connection. We will discuss what happens when you unfriend on LinkedIn and offer the steps for removing a LinkedIn connection on your desktop and mobile phone. Let’s get started!
Should You Remove a LinkedIn Connection?
LinkedIn is a social platform for professionals, and people are more focused on growing their connections. Nonetheless, there are times when removing a connection is the only best option. It could be the connection you’ve made is affecting you in other ways.
For instance, maybe someone you connected with is annoying, takes your content and uses it for their blog, or sends you many unhealthy messages. Whatever the case, you have the option of unfriending that person.
So you might be wondering, what happens after removing a LinkedIn connection?
Once you remove a connection, LinkedIn’s algorithm will remove that person’s content on your feed. However, they can still view your profile and contact you. The idea is to break your close connection with that person and limit their content from appearing on your feed section.
How To Unfriend on LinkedIn
Unfriending on LinkedIn means you are removing your connection with someone.
There are two ways of unfriending someone on LinkedIn, achieving the same result.
Method #1: Unfriending from Their LinkedIn Profile
If using the LinkedIn mobile app, use the below steps:
- Open your LinkedIn app.
- Once logged in, go to the profile of the person you want to unfriend.
- On their profile page, click the three dots.
- You will see the “Remove connection” option if you’ve connected with them. Click on it.
- Next, tap the “Remove connection” option in the next pop-up window.
Bingo! You’ve unfriended the given person.
If accessing LinkedIn using the desktop app or the browser, use the steps below:
- Open your LinkedIn account on your browser or the LinkedIn desktop app.
- Go to the profile of your target person.
- Click the three dots under their “introduction” section.
- Tap the “Remove Connection” button.
You will notice their status changing to “Connection Removed”, implying that you’ve unfriended them on LinkedIn, but that doesn’t remove them as your followers on LinkedIn.
Method #2: Unfriending from Your Connections Page
On your LinkedIn account, you can locate your “Connections” section, where everyone you’ve connected to will display.
You can locate the person you want to unfriend and remove their connection. Check the steps below.
On your desktop:
- Open your LinkedIn account.
- Navigate to the “My Network” section on your LinkedIn homepage.
- Tap on the option for “Connections”.
- Click the icon for “More” next to the person you want to unfriend.
- Click the “Remove Connection” option.
- Tap on “Remove” and confirm the action.
On your mobile app:
- Open your LinkedIn app on iOS or Android.
- Click on the “My Network” option at the bottom.
- On the “Connections” page, click on the three dots next to the person you want to unfriend.
- At the bottom, click the “Remove connection” option.
Once you confirm the action, you will have successfully unfriended that person on LinkedIn.
Blocking or Removing a Connection?
LinkedIn offers the alternative of blocking someone if you don’t want to remove them as your connection, but what’s the difference?
When you block someone on LinkedIn, they won’t have a way of contacting you on the platform or viewing your profile. On the contrary, unfriending someone doesn’t prevent them from messaging you or accessing your LinkedIn profile.
So, blocking them is the best option if you want to get rid of someone trying to spam you or you don’t want to hear from them.
However, if you want to unfriend a connection that you no longer want to have, removing the connection is the best option.
This guide has explained the two ways you have to unfriend someone on LinkedIn.
We’ve seen the steps to follow and discussed what happens when you unfriend someone.
Moreover, we’ve discussed the difference between blocking and removing a connection on LinkedIn.