Reddit is a quirky and unconventional platform in which people have taken a great interest for two decades now. It is a social media platform but slightly different than others.
Reddit revolves around topics where a user is anonymous, while traditional social media platforms are people and relationships oriented.
Since all kinds of people can share anything while keeping their identities in disguise, this space can become daunting. Due to its open nature, some Redditors can also go overboard and cause distress to others.
When you find such people who are essentially bullies, harassers, and trolls, Reddit allows you to block them. You can, however, easily unblock them when you cool down.
You can unblock any user by finding the blocked users list under the “Manage blocked accounts” tab in Account settings on the mobile app. Similarly, in the web version of Reddit, you can find all blocked users under the “Safety & Privacy tab” in User settings. Press the “Unblock” or “Remove” button next to the user profile to unblock.
So, let’s dive in for more on how to block someone on Reddit and then unblock them once you regain your composure.
Blocking and Unblocking Anyone on Reddit
Reddit is a very open social media platform that allows users of every kind to share their ideas. Some even argue that it does not fit in the definition of social media platforms, as it does not focus on creating or nurturing relationships.
It is all about user-generated content on particular topics promoted via user voting.
Reddit is more of a forum and social news website with communities — niche forums or subreddits on every topic, even sillier ones. So, it is a great place to find like-minded people and freely express yourself.
Some people do not know where to stop and can become so insensitive that they might cause despair to other users.
Some are just bullies and trolls who want to get on your nerves. At the same time, some people are scary harassers.
However, the good thing is that Reddit allows you to block such people like any social media platform.
How To Block Someone on Reddit?
Blocking someone on Reddit is slightly different on mobile devices and PC. We will walk you through both platforms.
Blocking Someone on Reddit Using the Mobile App
Let’s begin with how to block someone on Reddit mobile app; follow these steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your mobile device.
- Open the user profile you want to block (you can find them through their posts, comments, or even in your chat box).
- Tap the three dots in the top right corner.
- Select the “Block user” option.
- Confirm by tapping “Block.”
Blocking Someone on Reddit on PC
To block someone on your PC version of Reddit, go like this:
- Navigate to Reddit on your favorite browser.
- Open the user profile you want to block.
- On the profile card on your right, tap on “More Options.”
- Click the “Block User” option.
- Click the “Continue” button to confirm your decision.
By these methods, you can block someone on Reddit.
Initially, when Reddit introduced the blocking feature, it was unlike a traditional blocking system, where you block someone and get rid of them forever. It was more of a mute option.
When you blocked someone on Reddit previously, you would not see their posts on your timeline, but they could still find you. They could see your profile, posts, and comments and engage with them.
Later, Reddit rolled out the revamped blocking feature. If you block someone on Reddit now, they will not see your posts, comments, or profile. For them, your posts and comments will appear “deleted,” and your profile as “unavailable.”
It does not apply to the moderator of any community that you blocked.
How To Unblock on Reddit?
If you have recovered your lost wits and feel you have overreacted, the good news is that you can unblock anyone on Reddit.
Every day is a new chance, so why not give these blocked users chance to make amends for their actions?
Like blocking, unblocking is also different across mobile devices and PCs.
Unblocking on Reddit Using the Mobile App
You can unblock anyone on Reddit using your mobile device by going like this:
- Launch the Reddit app on your smartphone.
- Tap your avatar in the top right corner.
- Select the “Settings” option at the bottom.
- Tap on your username under “Account Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Blocking and Permissions” section and select “Manage blocked accounts.”
- Tap the “Unblock” button next to any profile you want to unblock.
Viola! The person is back. They can now find you, contact you, and interact with your posts or comments however they like.
Unblocking on Reddit Using PC
Now, let’s discuss how to unblock someone on the web version of Reddit:
- Navigate to Reddit on your favorite browser.
- Click on your username in the top right corner.
- Click on “User Settings.”
- Click on the “Safety & Privacy” tab.
- All blocked profiles will appear under “People You’ve Blocked.”
- Click the “Remove” button next to the blocked profile to unblock them.
If you have lost your wits and blocked a disturbing user on Reddit, you can unblock them once you cool down.
We have discussed the entire process of how to do it in the Reddit app and its web version. The only difference between the app and the web version of Reddit is finding the blocked list.
In the web version, blocked profiles are in the “Safety & Privacy” tab in user settings. On the mobile app, you can find them under “Manage blocked account” in account settings.
If, after unblocking, these people continue to be a menace, you can block them again.