Discord is a popular communication platform that allows users to chat, voice, and video call with others. With 150 million monthly active users globally in 2022, Discord is widely used by gamers, communities, and businesses for online communication.
However, some users may experience issues with the program running properly on their computers. One solution to this problem is to run Discord in compatibility mode. But how to go about it?
To run Discord in compatibility mode, right-click on the Discord shortcut on your desktop and select “Properties.” Under the “Compatibility” tab, choose the appropriate operating system by checking the box labeled “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” Apply the changes and launch Discord. This should help the program run correctly on your computer.
There are various aspects related to compatibility mode. Let’s learn step by step the process to run Discord in compatibility mode on your computer.
What Is Compatibility Mode?
Compatibility mode is a feature in Windows that allows older programs to run on newer operating system versions. It does this by simulating an older version of Windows, so the program can run as it would have on that version of the operating system.
This can be useful for programs that may not be compatible with the latest version of Windows but still need to be used.
When a program is run in compatibility mode, certain features may be disabled or not work as intended, but they can still function as a whole. For example, a program designed to run on Windows XP may not work properly on Windows 11, but it can still be used by running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
To enable compatibility mode, right-click on the program’s shortcut or executable file and select “Properties.” In the Properties window, go to the “Compatibility” tab, check the box labeled “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and find the appropriate operating system from the drop-down menu.
You can also select other options, such as disabling visual themes, disabling desktop composition, and running the program as an administrator.
It’s important to note that compatibility mode is not a perfect solution and may not work for all programs. It is also not a permanent solution, as the program may not function properly on future versions of Windows. In cases where compatibility mode does not work, contacting the software developer for an update or considering alternative programs is recommended.
Steps To Run Discord in Compatibility Mode
To run Discord in compatibility mode, you can follow these steps:
- Locate the Discord shortcut on your desktop or file explorer.
- Right-click on it and select “Properties.”
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box labeled “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select the appropriate operating system from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Apply” button and then “OK.”
- Launch Discord and see if the issue is resolved.
It’s worth noting that you can also try running Discord as an administrator by checking the box “Run this program as an administrator” in the compatibility tab.
If this does not resolve your issue, you can try other options, such as disabling visual themes, disabling desktop composition, and running the program as an administrator.
Lastly, if the above steps do not work, it’s recommended to contact the software developer for an update or to consider alternative programs.
Handy Discord Tips and Tricks To Keep in Mind
Make use of these features to keep your Discord experience happening:
- Use Discord’s built-in hotkeys: With Discord, you can make your conversations more efficient. Need to get back up to the top of a chat quickly? Just press “Ctrl + Shift + Up.” To jump straight down again, use “Ctrl + Shift + Down.” It’s that easy!
- Customize your Discord status: Discord users can make their presence known to friends by setting a custom status. To do this, click on your username in the bottom left corner and select “Custom Status.” Stay up-to-date with peers online!
- Use the Discord Overlay: Unlock an enhanced gaming experience with the Discord overlay—see who’s talking and join voice chats all while in-game! To activate, head to your User Settings > Overlay menu and toggle on ‘Enable In-Game Overlay.’
- Take advantage of Discord’s server permissions: Discord servers can have different roles with different permissions. For example, you can give specific roles the ability to use voice channels or post images in a text channel.
- Connect other apps to Discord: Discord allows you to connect other apps, such as Spotify, Twitch, and YouTube, to your account. This allows you to share what you’re listening to or watching with your friends.
Much more Discord features await you! You can make use of these cool features to navigate your way through the platform like a professional.
In conclusion, running Discord in compatibility mode can be an effective solution for users experiencing issues with the program on their computer. The steps outlined in this guide will allow you to easily enable compatibility mode and run Discord as it would on an older operating system.
Additionally, it’s essential to remember that compatibility mode is not a perfect solution and may only work for some programs. If the above steps do not work, it’s recommended to contact the software developer for an update or to consider alternative programs.
Lastly, keeping in mind some handy Discord tips and tricks can help you to use the program more efficiently and effectively.