Scrabble is a beloved board game that tests your vocabulary and critical thinking skills as you have fun and spend time with friends.
It requires a game board, a letter bag, four racks, and a hundred letter tiles.
The game is fun and engaging when played in person, as every player pulls random letter tiles from the letter bag, places them on the tile holder, then creates words on the board.
However, this doesn’t mean you can’t play Scrabble online with friends.
With good preparation, the correct setup of the game, and understanding, you can play this word game with your friends on Zoom.
So, how can you play Scrabble on Zoom?
As the Zoom host, you’ll be the game master. Once the other players have joined, set up the board game and the racks on the tabletop.
Strategically place a Zoom-connected phone or tablet above the setup so everyone can see the board and the racks. Pull a random letter from the letter bag representing each player.
Let the player whose letter is closest to A go first. Pull seven random letter tiles from the letter bag and place them on the player’s rack. Let them create a word from the seven letters. Arrange the letters on the gameboard, making sure to cover the middlebox.
The person with the most points is the winner.
The above steps have been shortened. Read on to learn how to play Scrabble on Zoom.
Zoom is primarily known for video calls, meetings, and interviews.
It has revolutionized how individuals, organizations, and businesses interact daily, especially without an in-person presence.
Besides the meetings, video calls, and interviews, Zoom has become a powerful tool for friends and family to stay connected and have fun despite being miles away.
However, board games are pretty complicated because they require tangible tools like board games and tiles to succeed.
Yet, Zoom users have devised ways to play board games virtually with friends, colleagues, and family. Scrabble is one of the board games that you can play on Zoom.
Let’s find out how to play the game on Zoom.
How To Play Scrabble on Zoom?
To successfully play Scrabble on Zoom, the host has to have the Scrabble game board, each member’s rack, and a letter bag containing letter tiles at hand.
The gamemaster will also need to be connected to Zoom on two devices, one for the game setup and another for keeping up with the other players.
Follow the steps below to play Scrabble on Zoom:
- Open Zoom.
- Start a new meeting.
- Invite the players. As the Zoom host, you’ll be the game master.
- Once the other players have joined, set up the board game and the racks on the tabletop.
- Strategically place a Zoom-connected phone or tablet above the setup so everyone can see the board and the racks.
- Pull a random letter tile from the letter bag representing each player.
- Let the player whose letter is closest to A go first.
- Pull seven random letter tiles from the letter bag and place them on the player’s rack.
- Let them create a word from the seven letters.
- Arrange the letters on the gameboard, making sure to cover the middlebox.
- Record the player’s score based on the letters in the word.
- Move on to the next player.
- Pull seven letter tiles from the letterbox and place them on the player’s rack.
- Let them create a word using those letters.
- Arrange the letters on the gameboard to create the word.
- Repeat the process until all players have played and all the letters tiles in the bag are used up.
- The person with the most points is the winner.
Playing board games like Scrabble is a great way to stay connected and have fun with family and friends miles away.
To successfully play Scrabble on Zoom, you must set up the game correctly.
The setup includes setting up a separate Zoom-connected device above the gameboard and racks so players can see the letters on their rack and the words on the board.
After setting up the game, connect to Zoom on a separate device, then invite the players to the meeting.
We hope you’ve understood the process and your next game night will be fun-filled as you play Scrabble on Zoom.
Yes, you can play Scrabble online with friends using Zoom, Google Meet, and other video conferencing platforms. The essential part is setting up the game so that every player can see the game board and the letters in their racks to create words. The host (gamemaster) arranges the letters on the game board according to what a player says. The player with the most points wins the game.
Scrabble is an engaging and fun-filled word board game that’s popular among students as well as adults. You can play it to pass the time with friends, enrich your vocabulary and polish your creative thinking skills.
The winner of the Scrabble game is the player with the most points. Each correct word you create has a score based on the points assigned to a letter. For instance, if the values for A, B, C, and D are 2,4,6, and 8, respectively, the word BAD would earn you 14 points, while CAB would give you 12 points.