Taboo is an exciting word game that helps players polish their creativity and vocabulary skills. It is an excellent ice-breaker guessing game that brings fun through competition, cooperation, enthusiasm, and motivation to guess a word correctly.
The popular game entails a bunch of cards with a secret word at the top and related taboo words that the guessers aren’t supposed to say. There is also a timer to time the given guessing period and a buzzer to denote when someone guesses, uses taboo words or breaks the game rules.
If you are looking for a fun word game to play on Zoom, Taboo is an excellent choice. But how do you play Taboo through Zoom?
To play Taboo on Zoom, launch Zoom, create a new meeting, and invite your friends. Ensure everyone’s video feed is on so that all of you can see each other. Divide the participants into two teams and send the secret words and related taboo words to the participants via chat. Select a person who will keep time and hit the buzzer. Now you are all set and ready to start!
This guide shows you how to play Taboo through Zoom.
An Overview of Playing Taboo Through Zoom
Are you looking for a noisy and exciting word game to get your team laughing loudly? How about giving clues to a secret word while the guessers do their best to keep off forbidden words related to your secret word?
The Taboo game is undoubtedly one of the best word-guessing games to play with colleagues and friends. It is not limited to adults, though; a teacher can use the game to test creativity and vocabulary skills in their students.
While it’s a popular night game that involves physical meetings and a bunch of cards, there is an online version of the game that you can play through Zoom. So how do you play Taboo through Zoom?
First, you need several cards containing secret words and their corresponding Taboo words. Various sites auto-generate cards to play Taboo online. These sites include Play Taboo and Lingolex. You can prepare your list of secret words and their taboo words beforehand, then send them to the participants via Zoom chat.
Let’s discuss how to play Taboo through Zoom in detail.
How To Play Taboo Through Zoom
Follow the steps below to play Taboo with your students, friends, or family through Zoom.
- Open Zoom and sign in to your account.
- Click “New Meeting” and then “Invite.”
- Ensure everyone’s video feed is on so that all of you can see each other.
- Divide the participants into two teams.
- Send the secret words and related taboo words to the participants via chat.
- One person from the first team will give clues to the secret word.
- The other team members will guess the secret word in the stipulated time.
- The moderator will keep time and say when the time is up.
- If someone from the guessing team guesses the word correctly, the team scores a point. At the same time, if a team member gives a clue using a taboo word, the moderator sounds the buzzer.
- Continue the cycle with the other team.
- When the game is over, the team with the most points wins.
When playing Taboo in person, you need a buzzer that a member of the opponent team sounds whenever a player of the other team gives a clue using a taboo word. You can use a physical buzzer as the moderator of a Taboo game on Zoom. However, you’d need to place the buzzer near the microphone so that it can be audible to all participants Alternatively, you can install an online buzzer sound such as this Game Show Buzzer from Motion Array.
Taboo is an exciting word game you can play with your students, family, and friends over Zoom. Playing the game through Zoom requires a previously prepared set of secret words and their corresponding Taboo words.
You can prepare these secret words and their related Taboo phrases using tools like Play Taboo Online Now and Lingolex.com. We hope this guide has shown you how to play Taboo through Zoom.
Yes, you can play Taboo virtually with friends and family through video conferencing platforms such as Zoom. Just like the in-person game session, prepare secret words and related taboo names and divide the participants into two teams. Send the words to everyone, and let one team member provide the clues as the rest guess the secret words. The other team will keep tabs on the time and Taboo words.
The rules of the Taboo game are:
1. Participants need to be divided into two teams.
2. One of the players of the playing team is the clue giver, while the rest guess the secret word.
3. The guessers need to provide as many words as possible as they try to guess the secret word in the allotted time.
4. The clue giver may not use any of the taboo words in any form to provide clues to their teammates.
You can auto-generate simple secret words and related taboo words for playing Taboo online on sites such as Play Taboo Online Now and Lingolex.