Everybody knows that YouTube, the biggest video-sharing platform, is owned by Google. Google acquired it from its founders in 2006. Since Google owns YouTube, Google’s account serves the purpose of user authentication.
So, if you are thinking about changing your YouTube password, it automatically implies that you must change your Google account password.
When you change your Google account, all the Google services, including YouTube, Docs, and Drive, will be affected as all utilize Google accounts. Now, the question is how to reset the YouTube password.
You can change your YouTube password by navigating to the Google account management page. Then click “Security” and enter the new password under the “Password” option. Similarly, if you have forgotten your password, you can navigate to the “Account Recovery” page and enter your last password or get a passcode on your recovery email to reset the password.
Let’s learn how to change your YouTube password if you remember your old one or have forgotten it.
Process To Change YouTube Password
As noted earlier, YouTube is signed in using a Google account, so changing your password on YouTube will change the password for your Gmail account, Google Docs, Google Drive, and other Google services.
Follow these steps to change your YouTube password anytime you want.
- Navigate to the YouTube website on your browser or launch the YouTube app.
- Tap on your profile avatar in the top right corner and select “Manage your Google Account” from the menu.
- The above step will redirect you to the Google account management page with all the necessary settings for your Google account.
- Click on the “Security” tab.
- Now, under the “How you sign in to Google” section, locate and click “Password.”
- Enter your current password and hit “Next.”
- Now, enter your new password in the space provided, type it again to confirm, and then hit the “Change password” button.
Viola! Your password has been reset. You will also receive an email to confirm. Now, you must enter the new password in all Google services that use your Google account.
Make sure your new password is different from the old password. Also, your new password must meet the requirements and be at least 8 characters long. Additionally, it must have upper and lower case letters, special characters, and even digits.
How To Reset YouTube Password if You Have Forgotten the Old One
If you can’t seem to remember your old YouTube password (Google password), we can explain an easy way to get the new one.
- Launch the YouTube app or navigate to the YouTube website on your browser.
- Tap on the profile avatar in the top right corner and “Manage your Google Account.”
- On the Google account management page, click the “Security” tab and then “Password.”
- Since you do not remember your password, click the “Forgot password” option.
- Now, the Account recovery page will open where you can enter the last password you remember before the forgotten one, then hit “Next.”
- If you do not remember it, click the “Try another way to sign in” option.
You will receive a reset code on your recovery email/phone number. Enter the code to verify the account, and then you can enter the new password for your Google account.
If you do not get a recovery email from Google with the reset link and code, request another email or check in the spam folder.
Alternatively, check other emails you might suspect to have given as recovery addresses for the specific account.
Always keep strong passwords for your important accounts like Google or Apple. Avoid obvious passwords that people can hack conveniently.
The gist of the entire article is that if you want to change your YouTube password, you must change your Google account password since YouTube uses a Google account for sign-in.
Changing the YouTube/Google account password is simple and will take a few minutes, even if you have forgotten your password.
It is worth noting that once you change your Google account password, all Google services that use the same account must be re-logged.
So, next time you need to change your YouTube password for security reasons, use our guide as a reference.