LinkedIn helps you build your online resume with sections dedicated for you to display your work experiences and skills. These sections help document your professional journey and let potential employers know how far you’ve come in your career. The experience section lets you add a position, the work duration, and a short description of tasks executed and achievements recorded.
You can add an experience on LinkedIn by clicking on your profile page and scrolling to the “Experience” section. If you haven’t had any positions, tap on the “add profile section,” click on the “core” dropdown menu, then tap “Add Position.” This will prompt you to add an experience and save it to your profile.
This article will detail the steps to add experience on your LinkedIn for the first time and how to add more, edit, and delete.
How To Add an Experience to Your LinkedIn for the First Time
LinkedIn is the platform that lets you document every important moment of your career as you grow or explore different paths. The platform is where you can get better job exposure and attract potential employers. LinkedIn gives you an advantage over others in the job market as you show that you’ve gathered experience in your career field over time.
Asides from serving as a formidable online resume, it lets you network with other people in your career path to gain knowledge and keep up with trends in your industry. It’s an excellent platform to explore various possibilities, and you start by adding your first work experience to the platform. There are several positions to help capture your role at your workplace, from intern to CEO.
If you’re adding an experience to your LinkedIn for the first time, these are the steps involved.
- Log into your LinkedIn account and navigate to your profile page.
- Click on “Add profile section.”
- Open the “Core” dropdown menu.
- Tap on “Add position.”
- Fill in the necessary details, and make sure you untick the “I am currently working in this role” option.
- Click “Save.”
When you tick the box to “Update my headline” at the end of the experience before saving, LinkedIn puts that position as the headline in your introduction section. For instance, beneath your name, you see something like “Intern at Apple Inc.”
How To Add Another Work Experience to Your LinkedIn
After you’ve successfully created an experience section on your LinkedIn profile page, you can add more positions as you progress over time. Suppose you’ve moved from intern to full-time staff at a company; you can update as a work experience on your LinkedIn. LinkedIn will notify your connections of the position change and help attract potential employers.
If you want to add work experience:
- Navigate to your profile page and scroll to the Experience section.
- To the far right of the experience tag, you’ll see two icons, a plus, and a pencil sign. Tap on the plus sign.
- Select “Add position” after clicking on the plus sign.
- Add the necessary details on the page, including your position, time of employment, and a short description of your role.
- Tap on Save.
- Go back to your profile page to see if it’s updated.
Again, clicking on the “update my headline” tag before saving the work experience will put the tag in your introduction section.
How To Edit and Delete Your Experience on LinkedIn
Suppose you made an error updating your experience on LinkedIn; you can come back to edit it. You can also delete an experience if you think it doesn’t align with what you’re ultimately aiming for in your career. Either way, these steps to editing and deleting an experience on your LinkedIn page.
- Launch your LinkedIn and log into your account.
- Navigate to your profile page and scroll to the experience section.
- Tap on the pencil icon beside the “Experience” tag.
- Scroll to the position you want to edit and tap the pencil icon again.
- Make the necessary changes if you’re editing, or click on the “Delete” tab if you want to delete an experience.
If you’re editing, tap on save to update the changes. Also, if you have the “Notify my network” on, your connections will be notified of the changes.
What your LinkedIn experience should look like depends on how you want to tell the progression of your career. It should highlight all the relevant work experiences in the field you want people to know you for.
The description underneath your work experiences should be short, unique, and hit the important parts of the role you’re filling. Do not be shy to add notable achievements recorded in each position you fill.
This is all the guide you need to add, edit, and remove your work experiences on LinkedIn. The steps apply to your mobile devices and laptops, and you should notice the updates seconds after making them.