Instant messaging apps have almost replaced standard sms because of their convenience and ease of use.
For example, WhatsApp allows you to chat, share media and documents, upload statuses, and form groups on one app.
Instant messaging apps also have video and voice calling features that use an internet connection to connect with other people.
Most instant messaging apps, including WhatsApp, have the DP feature. But what does DP mean on WhatsApp?
“DP” stands for “Display Picture.” This is the photo other WhatsApp users see when they click on your profile. The primary purpose of a DP is to help people recognize you.
For example, if you meet someone and exchange contacts, they will recognize you from your DP when you message them on WhatsApp, so you can avoid the awkward ‘who are you’ questions.
You’re not alone if you are unfamiliar with DP on WhatsApp. This post will explain what a DP is and cover DP ideas for people who don’t want to add their photo as a DP.
Overview of DP on WhatsApp
As noted above, DP is the display photo people view when they click on your WhatsApp profile. A DP serves various purposes.
The first is helping people recognize you when you send a WhatsApp message.
Suppose you haven’t contacted someone in a long time but wish to send them a message; they might not have your contact or have forgotten who you are. In that case, when you send the WhatsApp message, they will click on your profile and immediately recognize you from your DP.
DP’s are also useful in WhatsApp group settings where many people send messages simultaneously. Other group members can click on a profile to know who you are before interacting with you.
WhatsApp doesn’t limit Display Photo options to personal photos. You can add a picture of something you like, an activity, an animal, someone else, or anything else you prefer.
If you use WhatsApp for business, for example, as a platform where clients contact you to inquire about specific information, it’s essential you retain your photo as a WhatsApp DP. This helps new clients recognize you from your first meeting.
Another reason to have your photo as the DP on WhatsApp is to meet new people you want to contact on WhatsApp regularly. A DP helps avoid the suspicion that you are a scammer. Some people also don’t respond to unknown numbers.
Next, we’ll cover the steps to add a DP on WhatsApp.
Step-by-Step Guide To Adding a DP on WhatsApp
If you do not have a DP on WhatsApp and want to change the situation, follow the below steps.
Follow the steps below to add a DP on WhatsApp for Android:
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- Tap the three vertical dots at the top-right edge of the screen.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Tap the blank profile picture icon at the top-left corner next to your username.
- Tap on the camera icon to add a DP. You have three options:
- Tap on the gallery option to upload a photo from your gallery.
- Tap the camera option to take a picture.
- Tap the Avatar option to add an Avatar as your DP.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and hit the “Done” button.
Here’s how to add a DP on WhatsApp if you’re using an iPhone:
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Settings” option in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on “Set Profile Photo” at the top. You have four options:
- Tap the camera in the top left corner to take a picture.
- Select “Open Gallery” to select a photo from your gallery.
- Select “Set Emoji” to add an emoji as a profile picture.
- Select “Search Web” to search for a photo on the web.
- Make your choice and hit the submit button.
DP on WhatsApp means the Display Photo people view when they click on your profile.
A DP can be your photo or a photo of anything else you like or want to represent.
Having a WhatsApp DP isn’t mandatory but is essential in various circumstances, like messaging people for the first time or participating in different WhatsApp groups.
If you use WhatsApp for Business, having a DP will help your clients identify and trust you.