You’ve probably used pre-programmed Discord bots, but do you know that you can create your Discord bot and program it to meet your needs?
When the pre-made bots don’t serve you in your server as you would want, you can decide to program a Discord bot, provided you have some programming basics. Once you create the bot, invite it to your server.
To program a bot, ensure you have basic programming skills to write the code for the bot. Create a Discord account, click on “New Application,” and add details for your bot. Next, open the bot tab and click the “Add bot” option. Copy the token for the bot and set the permissions for your bot. With your bot created, copy its URL to a browser, then invite the bot to your server. Lastly, click the Authorize button.
We will understand what a Discord bot is and discuss the steps to follow to program it. We will discuss each step in detail and conclude with frequently asked questions about programming Discord bots.
What Is a Discord Bot?
Bots are automated programs that perform specific tasks independently. Discord keeps growing, and Discord servers have thousands of members. When you have a large server, it’s best to automate some tasks, such as responding to user requests and banning inappropriate users. Such repetitive tasks are best achieved using a Discord bot.
Besides, you could be in a gaming session and want to spice the mood in the channel. In such a case, you can use a Discord music bot to play a playlist for every member to listen to the songs. Discord has multiple pre-made bots that only require you to invite the bot to your server and then learn its different commands to use it on your server.
Discord also allows individuals to program their bots, especially if you run a Discord community and want a customized bot for your server. To program a Discord bot, you must have a Discord account, basic programming skills, a Discord server, and programming tools, such as a text editor, Python3, etc.
How To Use Pre-Made Discord Bots
Using pre-made bots is the best option for someone who doesn’t understand programming. Besides, the available pre-made Discord bots are categorized depending on the niche, such that you can search for a music bot, an NFT bot, etc.
Here’s how to use pre-made Discord bots.
- Open the bot’s website or search for the bot at the top.gg website.
- Once you open its website, click the “Invite” button.
- Login to your Discord account.
- Select the server where you want to add the bot.
- Confirm the bot’s permission, then click the “Authorize” button to add the bot to your server.
You can now use the bot’s commands to automate tasks.
How To Program Discord Bot
Programming a Discord bot is incredible, as you customize a bot for your needs. Although there are plenty of pre-made Discord bots, they may not serve the purpose you need to achieve for your community. The good news is that you can program your bot and invite it to your server if you have programming skills.
Here’s how to program the Discord bot.
- Open your Discord application and log in to your account.
- Click on the settings icon at the bottom.
- Scroll down and click on the “Advanced” option.
- Next, enable the “Developer Mode.“
- Open the Discord Developer portal.
- Make sure you are on the “Applications” tab. Then click on the “New Application” button at the top.
- Add a name for your bot, then click the “Create” button.
- Click on the “Bot” option on the left, then click the “Add Bot” button. Confirm your action by clicking “Yes.”
- If creating a public bot, enable the option for “Public Bot” in the authorization flow section.
- Once your bot gets created, a token will get generated. Copy and save the token somewhere; for example, to your notes. If you missed it the first time, click “Reset Token.”
- Program your bot using your programming tools of choice, then save the bot file once done.
- From the left sidebar menu, click on the “General Information” option.
- Add details for the bot, such as the description and its icon.
- Click on the “OAuth2” option, select “URL Generator” and tick the option for a “bot” under the “Scopes” section.
- Set the bot’s permissions by ticking the permissions required to perform as expected.
- Copy the Generated URL for your bot.
- Paste the link on your browser.
- Select the server and hit on the “Continue” button.
- Confirm the bot’s permissions, then click the “Authorize” button.
Your programmed bot is now added to your server, and you can use it for your activities. That’s how you program a Discord bot and invite it to your server.
Discord allows users to use pre-made bots by inviting them to their servers. Still, you can use programming skills and tools to program a Discord bot and invite it to your server.
This guide has presented all the steps you should follow to create a Discord bot. Follow along, create your Discord bot, and customize it using your programming skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. However, you must have programming skills and tools to program your bot easily.
Yes, it does. Anyone who has a Discord account can open the developer portal on Discord and proceed to program a bot, then invite it to their server.