Are you a Discord creator who has established a large community around your content?
You can make money directly with your Discord server by offering premium membership to your community members.
Members can purchase server subscriptions to access unique benefits such as exclusive content, special text and voice channels, premium emojis, and early access to content.
But how do you monetize a Discord server?
To monetize a Discord server, navigate to your server’s settings. Scroll down to “Monetization” and select “Server Subscriptions.” Click “Start Earning” and follow the on-screen instructions. You’ll see a notification confirming you’ve successfully monetized your server.
In this post, we will show you how to monetize a Discord server and the prerequisites to monetize a Discord server.
Overview of Monetizing a Discord Server
In December 2021, Discord joined other social media platforms that let creators earn money through paid memberships.
Some creators were already earning through fan-supported subscriptions via third parties like Patreon and Whop.
With the introduction of Discord’s server subscriptions, creators can now earn directly on the platform without involving third parties.
What are server subscriptions on Discord, and what can you sell to premium members?
Firstly, not all servers are eligible for the server subscription program. Servers must meet the following prerequisites to qualify for server subscriptions:
- Your server must be based in the United States.
- The server has not recently violated Discord’s community guidelines and terms of service.
- You must be over 18 years old.
- Your email address must be verified.
- You must enable Discord’s Two Factor Authentication.
My Discord server meets the prerequisites; how do the server subscriptions work, and what can I offer to make members pay for my content?
Discord’s server subscriptions are paid memberships where server members pay a renewable fee for various benefits. These benefits include:
- Exclusive content, e.g., behind-the-scene clips of your YouTube video.
- Early access to your content, e.g., be the first to listen to your new podcast.
- Premium emojis.
- Access to unique text and voice channels on the server.
Let’s learn more about monetizing a Discord server below.
Monetizing a Discord Server
Follow the steps below to monetize your Discord server:
- Open Discord on your PC.
- Select the server from the left navigation.
- Click the downward arrow icon next to the server’s name.
- Select “Server Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Monetization” and select “Server Subscriptions.”
- Click on “Start Earning.”
- Enable 2FA if it’s disabled.
- Select “Create Team.”
- Click “New Team.”
- Enter the name of the team.
- Click “Confirm.”
- Go back to the Discord window and select the new team name.
- Click “Enable.” You’ll see a notification confirming you’ve successfully monetized your server.
How To Set Up Your Discord Server After Monetization?
Once you have monetized your Discord server, you need to customize your monetization features, such as basic information, tiers, emojis, and payment.
Customizing the Basic Info Tab
Follow the steps below to set up the Basic Info tab on your monetized server:
- Choose whether to make your entire server exclusive or only some channels.
- Write your monetized server’s description.
- Upload a cover photo in the provided field.
- Click “Save Changes.”
Customizing the Tiers
Follow the below steps to set up tiers on your server:
- Click “Create New Tier.”
- Enter the tier name.
- Select a price.
- Write the tier’s description.
- Upload an image to represent the tier avatar.
- Click on “Channels & Benefits.”
- Click “Select a Role” to import pre-set roles on your server.
- Click “Add a Channel.”
- Enter the description and the emoji, then select “Add.”
- Add benefits, emojis, a free trial, and other options.
- Click “Save.”
- Click “Publish“ once you’ve confirmed the tier is correct.
Customizing Premium Emojis on Your Server
Access to premium emojis is one of the several perks that your server subscribers get.
Follow these steps to customize the premium emojis:
- Navigate to the “Emoji” category.
- Select “Upload Premium Emoji.”
- Upload premium emojis from your computer.
Setting Up a Payment Method for Your Server
Discord collaborates with Stripe to pay creators. You’ll receive 90% of all earnings, while 10% will go to Discord.
You cannot publish tiers without setting up a valid payment method.
Follow the steps below to set up your payment method to receive Discord payments:
- Navigate to the “Payment” section.
- Under “Payment Overview,” click on the “Edit Payment Info” link.
- Select “Payout Settings.”
- Select “Get Started.”
- Enter your verified email address.
- Click “Continue.”
- Add your mobile number.
- Click “Continue.”
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete setting up the payment method.
Promoting Your Monetized Server
After monetizing and customizing your Discord server, you need to promote your new offers to potential Discord users.
Discord helps you advertise your offer via the PromoPage.
Follow these steps to promote your newly monetized Discord server:
- Open the monetized server.
- Click on the server’s name at the top.
- Click “Server Settings.”
- Select “Promo Page” under “Monetization.”
- Enable the “Show your premium offering” feature.
- Choose an accent color for your page.
- Add a teaser.
- Enable or disable the feature to show your subscriber count based on your preference.
- Click “Save Changes.”
Creators on Discord can monetize their servers to earn money through paid server memberships.
Server members pay renewable subscriptions to get unique benefits such as exclusive content, premium emojis, and access to exclusive text and voice channels.
However, a server must meet certain prerequisites to qualify for monetization. These include being based in the United States, having a verified email, and having two-factor authentication.
We hope this guide has taught you how to monetize a Discord server.
Yes, you can monetize your Discord server if it meets Discord’s monetization requirements.
The rules for monetizing a Discord server include the owner being eighteen years old and above, having a good standing with Discord’s terms of service and community guidelines, and agreeing to Discord’s Server Subscription policy. Additionally, the server must be based in the United States, have a verified email address, and have two-factor authentication enabled.
No, Discord states that there is no minimum active user requirement to monetize a Discord server.