Twitch is an excellent streaming platform for people who enjoy online video gaming. Usually, streamers showcase their gaming skills via live stream while interacting with viewers through an in-video chat panel.
Besides the intuitive streaming features, Twitch also has vibrant affiliate programs enabling creators and viewers to maximize their Twitch experience.
One such program is channel points. Channel points are perks creators award to subscribers after fulfilling specific reward criteria. If you’re new to the Twitch affiliates program, you may be curious about giving channel points.
The first step to giving channel points is creating a custom channel point system. Log into your Creator Dashboard. Click “Viewer Rewards” and choose “Channel Points.” Under “Manage Rewards,” click “Create custom reward.” After, set up your reward criteria, including the description, the points for the reward, and what the viewer will receive. After selecting the image representing the reward, save the process.
This post explains how to set up and manage channel points on Twitch as a creator.
Overview of Giving Channel Points on Twitch
Channel points are an excellent way for creators to recognize and reward loyal subscribers. Everyone enjoys a reward, especially when entertaining themselves by streaming their favorite creator on Twitch. Channel points are an excellent way to make creators relatable and fun and foster engagement with your Twitch community.
Channel points are only available to Twitch Affiliates and Partner Programs creators. If you don’t wish to give channel points on your channel, you can disable them under the channel points window. Twitch has default and customized rewards.
Default rewards are predefined, and streamers typically don’t have to do anything to fulfill them, as Twitch will award the viewer automatically. On the other hand, the streamer manages and fulfills custom channel points.
A streamer typically has to do something to fulfill this award. An example is receiving a shoutout on chat, getting the streamer to do five pushups or dance, or requiring they don’t speak for the rest of the video.
As noted earlier, viewers have to accumulate a specific number of points to redeem rewards. Next, we’ll discuss the steps to give channel points to your viewers.
Step-by-Step Guide to Giving Channel Points
The first step to giving channel points is to enable them. Follow the steps below.
- Log into your Twitch account.
- Click on your profile avatar at the top-right corner.
- Select “Creator dashboard” from the menu.
- Check the left-side menu and click “Viewer Rewards.”
- Click “Channel Points.”
- Slide the toggle next to “Enable channel points.”
After enabling channel points, the next step is to customize your channel points. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Click the “Edit” button at the extreme right of the “Customize Points” tab below the channel points toggle.
- Enter the name of your channel points in the text field at the top.
- Next, go to the display tab to select icons for your rewards.
- You can use an online resizer to remake the icons into the appropriate sizes. Alternatively, select the default icons from the Twitch library.
- After selecting the icon, click “Save” at the bottom of the window.
- Click the left-facing arrow at the upper-left corner to return to the channel points window.
Now that you have the name and icons for your rewards, the next step is to manage them. The “Manage Rewards” and “Community Challenges” tab lets you create custom rewards and group activities your audience can collaborate on to gain awards. Directly below the Community Challenge tab is the Custom Rewards option.
Here’s how to set up custom rewards for viewers’ channel points.
- Click on “+Add a new Custom Reward.”
- Enter the name of your reward.
- Write a description to explain what happens when the viewer redeems their channel points for this award. For example, five pushups.
- Enable the text option if the viewer must write a text after redeeming channel points.
- Set the number of channel points required for this award.
- Set the appropriate countdowns and click “Save.”
Now, viewers can give channel points in exchange for specific awards. They can also participate in community challenges along with other viewers.
Viewers accumulate Channel points for watching your streams, participating in raids, and being loyal subscribers.
Creators make custom awards and community challenges that viewers can participate in and redeem their channel points to receive specific awards.
Channel points are an excellent way to foster loyalty and fun for your Twitch community.