Numerous benefits come with using Discord for communication. You can communicate via chat or calls, including group chat.
When in a voice channel, people will hear what you speak through your microphone.
Unfortunately, the microphone may fail to work, so your friends won’t hear you speak. If you are facing this problem with your microphone on Discord, there are ways you can quickly fix the error.
The first solution is to ensure you’ve not muted your microphone on Discord. Other fixes include restarting Discord, resetting the audio settings, granting Discord access to your microphone, and updating the audio drivers. Moreover, ensure you have the correct microphone selected and have disabled the exclusive mode for Windows PC. Lastly, try running Discord as an administrator.
Discord having issues with the microphone is a common problem. We will discuss why this happens and offer various fixes you should use when your Discord microphone fails to work. By the end of this guide, you will have a solution that works for your case.
- Why Does Discord Have Issues with Microphones?
- How To Fix Microphone on Discord
Why Does Discord Have Issues with Microphones?
Although we all hope that Discord works perfectly for our case, sometimes we face issues such as the microphone not working as expected.
There are several reasons why this may happen.
First, it could be that you’ve muted your microphone unknowingly. If so, people won’t hear what you are saying.
Still, Discord could have a minor technical glitch affecting the microphone, or your PC’s audio driver is probably outdated.
Again, you might have selected the wrong microphone or have incorrect audio settings. Furthermore, it won’t work as expected if you’ve not granted Discord access to your microphone.
How To Fix Microphone on Discord
It’s frustrating when the Discord microphone fails to work, and you don’t have a way of understanding and quickly solving the error, especially if you are in the middle of a meeting or discussion.
Here are the quick fixes for your microphone on Discord to avoid the inconvenience.
Method #1: Check If You’ve Muted the Mic
Open your Discord application.
Scroll down the main window and find the microphone icon. Ensure it doesn’t have a cross on it.
If it does, click on it to unmute it.
With the muted microphone, no one will hear you even when you speak. So, always ensure you unmute it when speaking.
Method #2: Restart Discord
Suppose Discord has minor technical glitches. That could explain why your microphone is not working.
In that case, a quick restart can help fix the problem.
So, consider logging out of Discord and restarting the application.
Hopefully, the microphone will work once you log back into your account.
Method #3: Check the Selected Microphone
When you have different microphone options, ensure you’ve selected the correct one.
- Open your Discord application.
- Tap on the gear icon at the bottom.
- On the “User settings” page, click on “Voice and Video”.
- Under the “Input Device”, click on the up arrow, then select the correct microphone.
Hopefully, that fixed the error with your microphone.
Method #4: Update Audio Drivers
When your audio drivers are outdated, that can be problematic and cause the microphone not to work properly.
- Open Device Manager by typing it on the search bar of your PC.
- Locate the “Audio inputs and outputs” and click on them.
- On the displayed audio drivers, right-click on the target driver and select the option to “Update driver”.
Check your microphone to see if updating it fixed the error.
Method #5: Disable Exclusive Mode
Sometimes, the exclusive mode granting Discord access to the audio driver may be problematic with Windows. Disabling it can fix the problem.
- Locate the sound icon on the system tray and right-click on it.
- Click on “Sounds” and tap on the “Recording” tab.
- Select “Microphone” and tap on “Properties” at the bottom.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Scroll down and uncheck the options under “Exclusive Mode”.
- Lastly, click the “Ok” button.
Method #6: Reset Audio Settings
Suppose you’ve made different modifications to your audio settings on Discord. Consider resetting the settings to see if that fixes the problem.
- Open Discord and access the “User settings” page by clicking the gear icon at the bottom.
- Tap on the “Voice and Video” option.
- Scroll down and click on the “Reset Voice Settings” option.
Method #7: Grant Discord Access to the Microphone
Discord requires access to your microphone to use the microphone on Discord conveniently. Here’s how to check if you’ve granted Discord access to your microphone for Windows.
- Open the start window and search for “settings”.
- On the settings page, click on “Privacy”.
- Under “App permissions”, click on “Microphone”.
- Ensure the option for “Allow apps to access your microphone” is enabled. If not, toggle the switch to turn it on.
Method #8: Open Discord as an Administrator
As the last fix, consider running Discord as the administrator. So, ensure you close the running instance of Discord.
Next, find Discord, right-click on its icon, and select the option for “Run as administrator”.
With Discord open as the admin, check the microphone and test to see if it works properly.
The Discord microphone not working properly is a problem many Discord users face, especially when working with a voice channel.
We’ve discussed why this happens and provided different fixes that can help resolve the error affecting your microphone on Discord.
Hopefully, one of the above fixes will work for your case.