TikTok is one of the biggest video-based social platforms, with over a billion users in over 150 countries. The platform has evolved to incorporate various video editing tools, effects, and sounds to improve content creators’ videos. A particular feature is duets, which lets you remix other people’s videos by recording a response that appears side-by0side with the original video.
You can enable duets for your friends only or everyone on TikTok from your privacy settings. Launch your TikTop app and navigate to your profile page by clicking the profile icon at the bottom right of your page. Tap on “Settings & Privacy” and then Privacy again. Scroll to Duets and select who gets to duet your video.
This article will comprehensively detail the process of allowing duets on your TikTok videos and how you can create a duet with someone else’s.
What Is a Duet on TikTok?
When TikTok started, it was popular for people to lip-sync to songs and show off their choreographed moves or follow specific trends and TikTok challenges. However, as the platform grew and accommodated more people, it incorporated new features where you can respond better to challenges, trends, and think-pieces.
One of the features is a duet, which lets you record a video in response to another video on the app. Your response would appear beside the original video, and you could choose to mute or unmute the sound of the original video. However, before you can duet a video or someone duets yours, you must make your TikTok account public.
Also, when your account is made public, there are three options you can pick for the duet to apply. You can pick for everyone to duet your videos, or your friends, or only you. Your friends, in this case, will be people you follow and follow you back. So if you select “Only me,” you’ve turned off every other person from dueting your videos.
How To Allow Duets on Your TikTok Video
You can easily allow duets on your videos in a few easy steps. These are the steps listed below:
- Launch your TikTok application and click the profile icon to the far right of the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap the three-line icon to the top right corner of your profile page.
- Click on “Settings and privacy.”
- Tap on Privacy and then scroll to Duet.
- In the “Who can duet my videos” bar, select everyone or friends to allow duets on your video.
How To Create A Duet With Someone Else’s Video
Before you can create a duet with another person’s video, the person will have to make their TikTok account public and allow everyone or friends to duet their videos. Follow these steps when watching the video and wanting to do the duet with it.
- Click on the arrow icon to the right of the video.
- Click on “Duet” at the bottom of the video and select one of the filming options.
- Click on the red button to start your recording and also stop.
- Tap the checkmark, click Next, and apply your filter/effects.
- Click Post.
Not everyone allows a duet on their videos; they can turn off the duet feature before posting a video.
How To Switch Off the Duet Feature Before Posting a Video
This feature lets you selectively pick what videos other people can duet. Follow these steps if you want to switch off the duet before posting a video.
- Launch your TikTok application.
- Tap the “+” button to record a video using the red button.
- Get to the post screen by clicking Next and click the toggle button to turn on or off the duet feature.
You can also switch off the feature for an existing video, and you can do so by navigating to the video on your profile page and following these steps.
- Click on the three-dot icon to the top right of the video.
- Tap on “Privacy Settings” beneath the menu.
- Click on the toggle button beside the duet option to switch it on or off.
What To Note Before You Allow Duets on Your TikTok
Once you allow duets on your TikTok videos and someone does the duet with it, your video will be available for engagement from the person’s end. They can watch, download, like, and comment on your video and the duet. The duet video will appear only on the person’s profile, while the original video remains on your page.
If you change the existing Duet settings after someone else has made a video, the duet will remain on TikTok. If you have concerns about the video, you can report it. If you’re under 18, you might not be allowed to duet specific videos.
TikTok is a huge video platform with several tools to improve your videos, and the duet is one of them. You have absolute control over your Duet settings and can flex them how you like.