Twitch has a chat feature that lets you interact with the streamer and other users in the live stream. You can share your thoughts about the streams, make requests, and cheer the Twitch creator with Twitch bits, all with the chat option.
But how do you chat on Twitch?
You need to sign in to Twitch to chat with the live-stream community. Once you’re signed in, open your preferred livestream. The stream will load, and a chat session will appear on the right of the stream. Enter your message in the message field and click “Send” or “Chat” to join the chat.
This post shows how to chat on Twitch mobile and browser versions and gives an overview of it.
The chat feature on Twitch offers an interactive platform where you can interact with the streamer and viewers. Depending on the nature of the stream, you can hang out, share your feedback, and make requests to the Twitch creator.
You can send messages or emotes (personalized reactions based on the stream). If you are subscribed to the Twitch creator, you can cheer them. “Cheer” entails gifting the creator with special rewards called Bits.
You can also interact with other Twitch members on a creator’s livestream. These interactions include greetings, shout-outs, and general discussions and debates. To address a particular member in a chat, use @theirhandle to mention them in the message.
However, you can’t chat on any live stream. Some creators limit who can join their chat. For example, a creator can limit the chat ability to subscribers or followers.
Let’s learn the chat basics on Twitch.
You can chat on Twitch using the website or on the mobile app. Here are the two methods, using a mobile and a desktop.
Follow these steps to chat on Twitch using the mobile app.
- Launch the Twitch app.
- Log in to your Twitch account.
- Find the livestream that you would like to join and interact with members.
- Open the livestream you want to join. The chat session will appear below the video stream.
- Tap the message field and accept the chat rules if a prompt appears.
- Type your message in the message field and hit the paperplane icon.
- Tap the emote icon if you want to send an emote instead.
You have successfully joined the chat and can now interact with other Twitch members and streamers.
Here is the step-by-step guide to chat on the Twitch web version.
- Open your browser, navigate to Twitch, and log into your account.
- Find a livestream you’d like to join.
- Open the livestream you want to join. The chat session will appear to the right of the stream.
- Click on the message field.
- Type your message and click “Chat.”
- You can also click on the emote icon to show the emote menu. Select an emote you want to send, then click “Chat.”
You have successfully joined chat on Twitch desktop.
The chat feature on Twitch lets you interact with the streamer and other members in a live stream. You need to be signed in to your account to chat on Twitch.
If there are no limitations to chat, join a live stream, navigate to the message field, type your message, and send.
If you can’t join a chat on Twitch, you may be signed out of your account. In other instances, the creator may have limited the chatting rights to followers or subscribers only.
Twitch chat bans last between one and thirty days, depending on the severity and reasons for the ban. After the ban period elapses, you regain access to the chat feature to continue interacting with creators and other members.
Yes, you can chat with someone privately on Twitch, a phenomenon known as a Whisper. To secretly Whisper to another Twitch user, click on their username and select “Whisper.” Enter your private message and click the send (paper airplane icon) button.
Most Twitch channels don’t charge to join the chat. However, you may encounter subscriber-only chat rooms where only those subscribed to the channel can join a chat.