Instagram strives to keep its platform safe and comfortable for all its users but blocks out any content that violates Instagram’s Community Guidelines or Terms. Content that violates platform guidelines includes spam, inappropriate material, and comments that could be hurtful to people.
Let’s look at a few reasons why an account may be reported.
Reasons Why an Instagram Account May Get Reported
When you proceed to report a profile or a post on Instagram, you will be shown a list of options stating why you may be reporting.
Depending on the seriousness of your report, Instagram takes appropriate action.
- If you choose the option “it’s annoying,” it won’t report the account, and Instagram will give us an option to block or unfollow the person. It would be unfair to report or punish someone only because you find their content annoying. However, if it’s spam, it’s a seperate issue that merits the account being reported.
- Posting inappropriate content may also get an account reported. This includes posting content that promotes hate speech or promotion of drugs, harasses, bullies, or threatens someone, and/or contains nudity or self-injury.
- Another common reason for accounts being reported is impersonation. Many people create fake accounts of celebrities or famous personalities to get attention. Some may also steal pictures of people they know and create a fake account of them. All these acts lead to account reporting and deletion.
- A violation of intellectual property such as copyright, trademarks laws, etc., is another common reason.
Hence, all these acts must be avoided for a continued presence on Instagram.
What Happens After You Report an Instagram Account?
As you report someone on Instagram, the accounts get blocked for you, and you no longer have to see their content. Depending on how severe the reason is, the Instagram team reviews your report and takes appropriate action.
It usually takes up to 24 hours for the team to review the content and get back to you. If they find that they have made a mistake, you will be informed accordingly, and the content will be removed.
Another way to report something is by using the “Report a Problem” option that you can find by going to Instagram “Settings” and clicking the “Help” tab. However, this method doesn’t always guarantee a response.
How to Report an Instagram Account?
Reporting someone or something on Instagram is a simple and hassle-free task. Instagram not allows you to report profiles but also posts, comments, direct messages, and stories.
Here is how you can do each of these:
- To report an account, you have to open the profile, click on the three dots in the top-right corner, then tap “Report,” and choose if it’s spam or inappropriate to finish reporting.
- To report a post, all you have to do is tap the three dots on the top right corner of the post, tap “Report,” and choose if it’s spam or inappropriate to finish the task.
- To report a comment, click on “view all comments” on the post that contains the comment you want to report, and go to that comment and swipe left. You will then see an exclamation point, tap on it, and choose the reason for reporting (“spam or scam” or “abusive comment”) to finish the report.
- To report a direct message, press and hold the message you want to report until you see the “Report” option at the bottom. Follow the prompts to finish reporting.
- To report an Insta story, open the story you want to report, and click on the three dots in the top-right corner. Then, tap “Report” and choose if it’s spam or inappropriate to complete the report.
How Many Reports Does it Take to Delete an Instagram Account?
This is a question that concerns many. If you want an action to be taken quickly, a single report is often insufficient. The reports are only considered once Instagram’s team has verified them.
However, it would help if you also remembered that when Instagram decides to delete an account, it is not basing the decision on the number of reports or complaints received.
Due to the seriousness and impact of the content or account in question, Instagram may decide to delete an account based on 3 or 4 reports.
However, if Instagram receives repeated reports against something, they bring it to notice. So, usually, more than ten reports are sufficient to have an account deleted. However, you still have to wait out their 24 hour processing time for the decision to be implemented. It may also take up to 2 to 3 days.
Can an Instagram Account be Revived After Getting Reported and Deleted?
There is no way to un-report something, so be very careful when taking this action. After Instagram has deleted an account, there is no way to revive it, and the action is permanent.
However, if you believe that Instagram’s decision is unfair and they can make a mistake, you can fill out a form, and they will investigate the matter and get back to you. Your account may be revived if they are convinced that they made a mistake.
In conclusion, if you want to avoid the trouble of your Instagram account being deleted permanently and face the embarrassment that comes with it, it is best to adhere to their rules and regulations. Your content must not violate their community guidelines, or else their algorithm will catch it, or you’ll be reported by someone else.
You can always reach out to the Help Center to share your concerns. They are very responsive and cater to all queries, requests, and reports. Good luck!