Google Sheets is a web application that enables users to create, input, and tabulate data.
It’s a common and useful application for professional and personal use as it’s an excellent tool for organizing and visualizing data.
The use of Google Sheets cuts across industries as its suitability for different tasks is extensive.
You can use Google Sheets for simple tasks like listing names and organizing complex data like mechanical calculations and others.
Because of its diversity and the growing file-sharing options we have today, it has become essential to learn how to share Google Sheets with instant messaging platforms like WhatsApp so you can share information with the necessary recipients on time.
Sharing Google Sheets on WhatsApp is relatively easy. If you’re using desktop versions of both platforms, you’ll first open the Google Sheet you want to share. Review it, then save it on your PC. Next, launch WhatsApp, and click on the person you want to share the Google Sheets file with. Click on the paper clip icon, select “File,” upload it, and send it.
This post will review various ways to share Google Sheets on Whatsapp using your phone or desktop.
Overview of Sharing Google Sheets on WhatsApp
Google Sheets are an integral part of businesses as they are excellent at organizing data.
Some of the most common uses of Google Sheets in a business setting include budgeting and accounting, project management, scheduling and mapping calendars, and time tracking.
Some companies also use Google Sheets to create purchase orders, perform data analysis and create graphs, reports, and chats.
Besides businesses, Google Sheets can help you organize and tabulate your personal information.
For example, if you are budgeting for a project, use Google Sheets to create different categories and entries with their assigned budget so you can see the tentative cost of the project.
Google Sheets isn’t only helpful in calculating and organizing complex data. It can also work for simple tasks like birthday projects, friends’ trips, and many more.
If you’re using Google Sheets for professional and even group projects, it’s important to know ways to share these files in real-time so you can get the feedback you need to track or continue with the project.
One of the best ways to share Google Sheets is through WhatsApp. WhatsApp is popular and requires only a stable internet connection to send and receive messages.
The advantage of sharing Google Sheets on WhatsApp is the recipient can review the file and share feedback instantly. Next, we’ll explore the exact steps to sharing Google Sheets on WhatsApp on PC and through the phone.
Step-by-Step Guide to Sharing Google Sheets on WhatsApp
There are two ways to share Google Sheets on WhatsApp, depending on your device. These methods are as detailed below.
Using Your PC
The first step to using this method is to save the Google Sheets file in an accessible folder on your PC.
Follow the steps below.
Step #1: Download the Sheet
- Open the Google Sheet you want to share.
- Click “File“ at the top-left corner.
- Click “Download.”
- Choose the “.xlsx” format. The file will be saved to your “Downloads” folder.
Step #2: Sign in to WhatsApp Desktop
Next, download and install WhatsApp for the desktop. After, follow the steps below:
- Launch WhatsApp on your PC.
- On your phone, open WhatsApp and tap on the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Select “Settings.”
- Tap on the QR Code next to your username.
- Select “Scan code.”
- Use your phone’s camera to scan the Desktop app’s code.
Step #3: Share the File
After your WhatsApp is connected, the next step is to share the Google Sheets file.
Follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your PC.
- Click on the person’s chat you want to share Google sheet with or search for them and tap on their name.
- Click on the paper clip icon next to the message bar.
- Click the “File” option.
- Select the Google Sheets file from the folder you initially saved it and click on “Open.”
- Add a caption if you want, or leave it blank and click the send button.
When you use this method, the Google Sheets file will appear as a document in the conversation. When you click on the document, it will redirect you to the actual Google Sheets file.
Using Your Phone
Like the PC method, you’ll need to have installed the Google Sheets app to share any file on WhatsApp using this method.
If you do, proceed with the steps below:
- Open the Google Sheets app.
- Tap on the three dots below the document you want to share via WhatsApp.
- Tap on the “Manage access” option.
- Under “General access,” tap “Change.”
- Tap on “Restricted.”
- Select “Anyone with the Link.” Select the same option again if necessary.
- Navigate back to the “Manage access” page and tap on the clip icon to copy the Google Sheets link.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap on the name of the person you wish to share the link with from the chats.
- Long-press on the message box.
- Select “Paste.”
- Hit the send button.
If you’re looking for a convenient way to organize and visualize data, Google Sheets is an excellent option.
The best thing about Google Sheets is their suitability for different tasks.
For example, budgeting, project management, time tracking, accounting, and many more.
Another advantage of using this app is you can easily share files using instant messaging apps like WhatsApp.