Reddit allows people to give their comments, and the comments with the highest votes are retained on the forum.
However, like most platforms, there are always people who spam and bully others raising the need to report such users.
The good news is that Reddit has a report button you can use to report such users if blocking them is not enough.
Using the Reddit mobile application or Chrome, you can easily report someone on Reddit. If you are using a mobile application, report a comment sent by a user by opening the mobile application, clicking on the profile icon of that person, and selecting the offensive comment. Once you click on the three dots icon, you will see a “Report” button. Select the “Report” button and choose the reason to finish reporting.
If you have tried to report a Reddit user without success, this guide is for you. It has explained what you can report on Reddit and three methods you can use to report a Reddit user. Keep reading to discover more about reporting a Reddit user!
When Should I Report on Reddit?
Reddit has not offered strict terms like other platforms but provides a content policy that users must follow. That is why it has moderators who constantly check users’ subreddits and remove inappropriate content from the forum.
The moderators cannot be perfect in removing all inappropriate comments, which explains why they have the report button to enable users to report some content they may find inappropriate.
Some of the things users can report on Reddit include the following:
- Threats, harassment, and bullying.
- Comments encouraging others to bully or harass others.
- Comments encouraging violence.
- Sharing of personal details or confidential details of another person.
- Impersonating another person and trying to deceive others.
- Sending spam messages.
- Using Reddit to ask others for money and other gifts.
Now that you know some of the information that Reddit accepts to be reported, you can use the three methods explained below to report a person on Reddit.
3 Ways To Report a Reddit User
Report a Private Message Using Chrome
If you wish to report a private message sent by a Reddit user, you can do so by opening Reddit on a web browser and following the guidelines below:
- Once you open Reddit, tap on the messages or envelope icon.
- Tap on the “Report” option below the message you want to report.
- Select a reason for reporting the message.
- Tap on the “Submit” button.
- If you wish to block that person, as suggested by Reddit, tap on the “Block” option.
Report a Comment Using a Desktop
If you are accessing Reddit through the browser on a desktop, you can report a comment by following the steps below:
- Log in to your Reddit using a browser like Chrome.
- Go to the Reddit post that contains an offensive word.
- Click the full comments tab below the post to show all comments.
- Choose the “Report” button below the specific statement you want to report.
- Choose the reason for reporting the comment and tap on the “Submit” button.
After submitting your complaint, Reddit will suggest what you can do while waiting for them to act on the report. If you wish to block the user, click on the “Block” option.
Report a Comment Using the Reddit Mobile Application
Android users can use the Reddit mobile application to report abusive content as explained here:
- Launch the Reddit application.
- While on the home screen, select the Profile icon.
- Go to the post that contains the offensive comment you wish to report.
- Next to the statement you want to report, click the three-dot icon.
- From the pop-up menu, select the “Report” option.
- Choose the reason that fits your reason for reporting.
You will see a message at the bottom indicating you have reported the comment on Reddit.
Reddit is a great platform that enables many people to get answers to questions.
The platform is better because it gives various honest answers; you can choose what to pick and ignore.
If some people are spamming or sending harmful comments to you on Reddit, discover the different methods of reporting and blocking such users!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Reddit offers a report button that users can use to report comments they find harmful or inappropriate. You need to go to the offensive message and click the “Report” button below it and select the reason. Moreover, if you don’t want to be contacted by that person on Reddit, block them.
No. Reddit does not send a notification to a person when you report him. Reddit investigates, and if they find the person has violated the content policy, they take the necessary measures.