Most social media applications have a direct messaging feature that lets you send and receive messages. Facebook is one of the pioneers of direct messaging on social platforms, and it has evolved with the creation of its messaging app known as Messenger. The messaging app lets you text in style and your preferred themes as you can change colors and modes of the chat.
Before you can change the color of your chat on Facebook, you should have the updated version of Messenger. You’ll be able to select colors for conversations, and you can do so by selecting the chat whose color you want to change, clicking on the chat’s menu, selecting the theme option, and then choosing the color gradient you want to apply.
You can also select between light and dark mode on the Messenger application, which will apply to all your conversations and other parts of the app.
In this guide, we’ll go over changing the theme of your chat, hence the color, on your Android and iOS devices and your personal computers. We’ll also see how you can switch between dark and light mode and how to return to Facebook’s default color.
How To Change Chat Color In Facebook Messenger
The Messenger app is best enjoyed on your mobile device and either on an Android device, iPad, or iPhone. They have similar interfaces, and you can change the chat’s theme using the same process. However, before you go changing the themes to chats, there are things you should take note of.
Firstly, anybody in a chat can change the color of the chat; it could be you or the other person in the chat. Messenger will notify the other person of the theme change. Also, the theme change will only apply to one chat, and if you want the same things for everyone on your messaging list, you’ll need to repeat the process below for each individual.
- Launch the Messenger app.
- Select the conversation whose chat color you want to change.
- Click on the “i” icon to the top-right of the chat.
- Tap on “Theme”.
- Proceed to pick one of the color gradients or customized themes for your chat.
When you’ve picked the color you want, go back to the chat, and the theme will have applied to that chat. If you don’t like the color, click on the “Edit” tab beside the notification that says you’ve changed the theme to select another one.
The same theme you picked will simultaneously apply at the end of the other chat’s participant as Messenger announces that you initiated the change. Changing chat themes do not apply to group chats.
How To Change Chat Color On Facebook On Your PC
Changing the chat theme on your laptop is similar to how you change the theme on your mobile device. These are the steps involved in changing your chat color.
- Launch the Messenger app on your PC.
- Select the chat which color you want to change.
- Tap on the “i” icon at the top of the chat to open a sidebar.
- Click on “Change Theme”.
- Select the theme you want.
If the change does not apply immediately on your PC, open the mobile app to see if it changed there.
How To Revert To Facebook’s Default Chat Color
You can also revert your theme to Facebook’s default color on any chat. This is also relatively easy as the default color of Facebook chat is blue. So what you’re looking to select in the colors is the blue color.
Regardless, here are the steps in reverting to the default color.
- Launch the Facebook App on your mobile device or your PC.
- Select the chat which color you want to revert to default.
- Tap on the “i” icon to the top-right on your mobile or PC.
- Select “Theme” on your mobile device or “Change Theme” on your PC.
- Look for the blue color in the color gradients and select it.
How To Change Between Light And Dark Mode In Facebook Messenger
It’s become a trend among social platforms to have a light and dark mode that changes your visual experience with the app. This feature is also present in Facebook messenger and has the light mode as default. Dark mode will apply to all chats and aspects of the app.
These are the steps involved in switching between modes:
- Launch the Messenger app on your mobile device or PC.
- Click on your profile picture to the top-left.
- You’ll see the “Dark mode” tab and a switch beside it.
- Toggle on the switch for dark mode and off for light mode.
On iOS devices, you’ll see three modes: light, dark, and system. The system allows the app to use the phone’s dark mode schedule to toggle from light to dark.
With this guide, you can now change chat colors and toggle from light to dark. Apply your favorite themes and have a wonderful chatting experience!