Messenger is excellent for connecting and chatting with friends.
When someone messages you on Messenger, and you reply to them, you create a new conversation.
When you want to find something specific you shared or mentioned in the conversation, you can open it and search through the conversation.
So, can someone know that you searched for something in your Messenger conversation with them?
Searching for someone on Messenger doesn’t notify the other person. The search is on your side, and they cannot know you searched for something.
However, if you have not opened an unread message and clicked on it to search for something, someone can know that you’ve read the message but can’t suspect that you searched the conversation.
The bottom line is that there is no way someone can know you searched the conversation.
We will begin by highlighting the steps for searching through a Messenger conversation. Next, we will discuss whether Messenger notifies someone when you search in a conversation and conclude with frequently asked questions.
How To Search in a Messenger Conversation
When you have many Messenger messages and want to scroll through each, searching for a given text, it could take plenty of time.
Luckily, you don’t have to tire searching for something on Messenger as there is a way to filter through the messages and find a given keyword whether accessing Messenger on the browser or the mobile app.
On a Browser
Follow these steps:
- Open your browser and navigate to Facebook.
- Locate the Messenger icon at the top and click on it.
- Click the “See all in Messenger” button at the bottom.
- On the chats window, click on the search box.
- Type the keyword for the chat you want to find and press the Enter key.
- Alternatively, click on the specific chat where you want to search for a given text.
- Once the chat window opens, click the “i” icon at the top right corner.
- Click on the “Customize chat” option.
- Click on the “Search in conversation” button.
- Type the target keyword and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
All messages matching the given keyword will appear, and you can quickly find the search word.
On a Mobile Phone
You can search Messenger conversation on your Android or iPhone using the steps below:
- Open the Messenger app.
- Find the target chat and open it.
- For Android, tap the “i” icon at the top of the chat. For iPhone, tap on the profile picture to bring up the options.
- Tap the “Search in conversation” option.
- Type your target keyword and press the search key.
Messenger will bring up the search keyword results if found.
Does Messenger Notify When You Search in Conversation?
When you search in Messenger, there is no way another person can know.
Besides, Messenger doesn’t give out any notification that can make the other person know that you’ve searched for something in the conversation.
So, feel free to search for a given message in your Messenger, whether using the browser version or the mobile app.
Messenger has a way of letting users search in a conversation.
This guide has detailed different ways you can search in Messenger.
Besides, Messenger doesn’t send notifications when you search in a conversation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. No one will know that you’ve searched for a specific chat in Messenger, as Messenger doesn’t notify the other person that you’ve searched for something in the conversation.