Snapchat is popular for the various features it offers. One feature that stands out is the Snapchat map (Snap map), which allows Snapchat users to share their location, and anyone in range can see when a given user is active and how active they are using their heat signature.
On the Snap map, various time displays, and unless you understand what they mean, you may miss out on the best way of using them.
With Snap map, you can get notifications about when a given user is active. For instance, a notification like “seen 20 minutes ago” means that the Snapchat user was active 20 minutes ago. Others will have the “seen just now” notification in some cases. Relating what these notifications mean seems obvious if you know what they mean.
This guide discusses Snapchat Map and how to use it to identify your Snapchat friends and check their activity. Also, we will see how to disable the Snap Map if you don’t want anyone tracking your activities when using the platform. Let’s begin.
What is Snapchat Map?
Snap Map is a feature rolled out by Snapchat to allow users to view the real-time location of their friends on a map. Using the Snapchat Map, you can view when someone was last active, and it’s an ideal way of knowing if they are snubbing your texts.
Once you open the Snap Map, it will show all the friends you are near, provided they have enabled the feature on their Snapchat.
How To Use Snapchat Map
How can you track someone’s last activity on Snapchat?
The Snap map will display the timestamp when your target person was active on Snapchat. Before using Snap Map, we need to enable it using the steps below:
- Open your Snapchat app and ensure you have the latest update installed.
Android users update it from Google Play Store, and iOS users use the App Store.
- To open the Snap Map, zoom out of the camera screen by “pinching out” your screen.
- The next screen will prompt you to select who should see your location.
- Make your selection, but avoid the ghost mode, as we will discuss it soon enough in the next section. Once selected, click the “Next” button.
- Snap Map will open, and you will see all your friends with whom you shared the location on the screen.
With that, we can now use Snap Map to view someone’s activities as described below.
- While on the Snap Map, locate a friend who you wish to see their activities.
- Click on their Bitmoji.
- A window displaying their details will appear. Here, you can see their heat maps and timestamps.
The heat map shows the strength of how much they are snapping, while the timestamp signifies their active status.
Note that the timestamp shows if the person is online or how much time has elapsed since their last online activity. That way, you can track their movements, and if they are snubbing you, the timestamp will confirm it.
What Does the Time on Snapchat Map mean?
We’ve seen how to access the Snap Map and view someone’s details. In this case, our focus is on the timestamp details. If you see a notification like “seen just now” that tells you that your target person is online, their heat map will confirm.
Also, if someone was recently online, the timestamp displays the time since they actively engaged on the platform. For instance, under their Bitmoji, you will see a notification like, “30m ago.” That means that the person was last seen online 30 minutes ago. When viewing other people’s timestamps on the Snap Map, it’s worth noting that they will also view yours.
How To Disable Snapchat Map
At some point, you may consider the Snap Map a hindrance to your privacy on Snapchat. The good news is that you have the option to disable it to prevent people from tracking your real-time location and online activity.
Besides, you have two options to disabling Snap Map, using ghost mode or disabling your location. Use any of the methods below.
Method #1: Disabling Location
The Snap Map relies on your location to work. Therefore, hiding your location will disable it, but that comes at the expense of you viewing the location of others. If you are okay with that, use the steps below.
For iOS devices:
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Click on Snapchat > Location.
- Under “Location”, click the “Never” option.
For Android devices:
- Open the Settings app. Scroll down and click “Location”.
- Next, select Snapchat and click “Permissions” on the next screen.
- Lastly, disable Snapchat’s access to location services.
Denying Snapchat access to your location will automatically disable the Snap Map feature.
Method #2: Using Ghost Mode
Earlier on, when setting who can view your Snap Map location, we said we would discuss ghost mode later, right? The ghost mode hides you from everyone, and nobody can find you on Snap Map. The best part is that you will still see the location details of other users.
- Log into your Snapchat account.
- On the camera screen, zoom out to open Snap Map.
- Click the “Settings” icon at the top right corner.
- Enable the “Ghost Mode” option.
You are now invisible on Snap Map.
You now understand what the different times displayed on Snapchat Map mean at this juncture. If you had no idea how to interpret them, this guide shed light, and the next time you see someone’s timestamps on Snap Map, you know what it means.