Muting someone on Instagram is simple, but unmuting someone can be difficult. This is due to the “unmute” option being kept from view. To mute someone’s posts, you have to go to your feed, press the triple-dots icon on the desired post, and then mute it.
On the other hand, unmuting requires a few extra steps because you won’t be able to do it from your feed. Unmuting entails tapping on “mute” after clicking on the “following” feature.
To make matters worse, in case you forget who you muted, you won’t be able to find them using the search box because you don’t know their name or username.
This article will teach you how to unmute Instagram posts or stories even if you’ve forgotten who you muted.
There are two sides to unmuting posts on Instagram. How you unmute posts when you specifically remember the person you’ve muted is slightly different from how it’s done when you don’t. Lucky for you, we’ll handle both scenarios, one after the other.
If you know someone’s Instagram name/username, you can unmute their posts as follows:
- The first step is to go to their profile and click the “Following” option.
- After that, go to the “Mute” page and turn off the “Posts” switch to unmute their posts.
- Just like that, you’re done. Their posts will no longer be muted and will appear in your feed.
If You’ve Don’t Remember Their Username
If you can’t remember the username of the person you muted, there are some additional steps you’ll need to take to find their profile. You must either search for their name or username to find them, and that’s a bit difficult when you don’t remember their identity.
As a result, you must reach the list of muted accounts:
- Go to your profile.
- Select the menu in the right corner of your profile.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Navigate to “Privacy”, then “Muted accounts”.
- Select the user that you want to unmute.
- Select the “Following” button.
- Click on “Mute.”
- Turn off the switch for “Posts.”
Just like in the case of muting posts, and for the same reasons, different approaches are required when muting the story of someone whose name/username you remember, as opposed to one you don’t. We’ll take a look at both approaches.
- To unmute someone’s story on Instagram, go to their profile and click on the “Following” icon.
- After you’ve clicked the “Following” button, go to the “Mute” page and turn off the “Stories” switch to unmute their stories.
- Their stories will no longer be muted if you turn off the “Stories” switch, which will be visible on your timeline.
If You Don’t Remember Their Username
If you can’t remember the username/name of the person you muted, you’ll need to look them up in the list of muted accounts.
Here’s how you do it:
- Navigate to your profile.
- Tap the menu button in the upper right corner of your profile.
- Select “Settings”.
- Select “Privacy” > “Muted accounts”.
- Choose the user you want to unmute.
- Select the “Following” option.
- Select “Mute.”
- Turn off the “Stories” switch.
Viola! You’re all done.
Performing actions on Instagram might be difficult since some features are concealed from view. One of such elements hidden from view is the “mute” and “unmute” buttons, but if you know your onions well, they would be no problem. You’ll even be able to put some of your friends through when they don’t know how to go about it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Muting merely prevents you from seeing the stories and posts of the selected party. Unfollowing achieves the same thing, but you’ll have to follow the individual again if you intend to see those updates. Furthermore, muting occurs incognito, so the other party is unaware, whereas unfollowing a person is visible. When you follow them back, they also receive a notification.
The @silent Instagram feature allows you to send discreet direct messages. That implies the message’s receiver will not be notified.