Following an Instagram hashtag is easy. It’s similar to following someone on Instagram; when you follow a given hashtag by accident or no longer wish to associate yourself with the hashtag, you can unfollow it.
The good thing with Instagram hashtags is they let you stay updated about a given topic based on the hashtag you’ve followed.
So, how do you unfollow hashtags on Instagram? There are two ways of doing so. You can search for the hashtag on your account and click the “Unfollow” option when it comes up. Alternatively, you can access your Instagram list of the accounts you follow and unfollow the hashtag from there.
Today’s guide presents two ways of unfollowing hashtags on Instagram. Furthermore, we will see how you can follow a hashtag on Instagram. By the end of this guide, you will understand every detail regarding Instagram hashtags. Let’s get started!
What is a Hashtag on Instagram?
When you follow a given account on Instagram, you can view the posts and stories posted by that account, right? Instagram hashtags work the same.
An Instagram Hashtag combines special characters, numbers, letters, and emojis to categorize specific content, making them more discoverable.
For instance, if someone posts an Instagram post with a specific hashtag, when you follow the given hashtag, you will view all posts associated with the given hashtag. When you click on the given hashtag, you will access all posts that tag the given hashtag.
How To Follow Hashtags on Instagram
We’ve seen what a hashtag is on Instagram. Now, let’s see how you can follow a given hashtag to view all posts that tag a given hashtag.
For that, use the steps below:
- Open your Instagram account and log in to your account.
- Click the search icon at the bottom.
- On the search bar, type the hashtag you want to follow.
- From the search results, click the target hashtag to open its page.
- At the top, you will see the “Follow” button.
- Click on it, start following the hashtag, and view all posts that are associated with it.
That’s how you follow a hashtag on Instagram. What if you accidentally follow a given hashtag, or it becomes irrelevant at some point? How do you unfollow it? Read on to find out.
Two Ways of Unfollowing Hashtags on Instagram
Whenever you feel you need to unfollow a given hashtag for whatever reason, the process is simple and shouldn’t stress you. Besides, we have a hands-on guide on the two quick methods to use. Take a look.
Method #1: Search and Unfollow the Hashtag
Similar to how you searched for the hashtag when following it in the first place, that’s how you use this method to unfollow it.
Follow the steps below:
- Go to your Instagram account.
- On your home screen, click the search icon at the bottom.
- On the search bar, type the name of the hashtag you want to unfollow.
- From the search results, the given hashtag will appear. Click on it.
- The next screen will be the page for the hashtag.
- From the available options, click the “Following” button, which confirms that you follow the given hashtag.
- Tap on the button until a new pop-up appears with various options.
- Click the “Unfollow” button.
Once you confirm that you want to unfollow the given hashtag, you will note the button turn to blue and the name change to “Follow”. Bingo! You managed to unfollow the hashtag, and you will no longer see posts associated with it.
Method #2: Unfollow a Hashtag from Your Instagram Profile
If the first method doesn’t suit you, this one will work and still achieve the same result. Besides, it works well when you don’t remember the hashtag’s name but can recognize it from your profile.
Use the steps below:
- Access your Instagram account.
- Click the profile icon at the bottom.
- On the profile page, click the “Following” button on the right.
- Under the list of “Following”, you will see the hashtags that you follow.
- Click the “Following” button next to the hashtag.
- A menu will appear. Click the “Unfollow” option to unfollow the hashtag.
If you have multiple hashtags that you want to unfollow, repeat the same steps. Once you’ve unfollowed all the hashtags, you will stop seeing posts associated with the hashtags on your Instagram feeds section.
Instagram hashtags help people tag their posts with a given topic, and anyone following a given hashtag can come across their posts.
Besides, you can follow hashtags that interest you, and associated posts will appear on your Instagram feeds.
If you change your mind and wish to unfollow the hashtags, use any of the two methods presented in this guide.