Discord is a social application whose main objective from the features is to connect people worldwide. People are different and like different things, which explains why Discord strives to allow like-minded individuals to form groups and connect.
The groups are possible through servers and channels. Discord Channels allow users to connect by sending text messages, images, and files. Here’s how to make a welcome channel on Discord.
Navigate to your Discord server and click on the three dots in next to the server’s name. Next, select “Create Channel,” input the channel name and select the channel type. Finally, click the create button. It’s best to name it Welcome Channel. Now, integrate MEE6 bot to your server and you are done.
The article Breaks down the process of making a welcome channel on Discord. Try and follow the steps mentioned to create a welcome channel.
An Overview of the Welcome Channel in Discord
Discord is described as a community application because the users are diverse. Some of the typical users of the platform include gamers, sports enthusiasts, and technology gurus.
The application is unique because it allows users to connect and interact within their unique groups, known as channels. Through the channels, users communicate openly through texts, voice, and sharing of images and files.
Physical or online communities require some form of regulation to maintain order. As such, on Discord, there is the concept of welcome channels. The welcome channel is an exciting concept because it helps new users understand the channel before joining the main channel.
The welcome channel sets the pace for new users by assisting them in getting to know how everything gets done on the channel.
A welcome channel is the first point of interaction between the new users and the server. It has the rules, guidelines, and the server’s core objective. Users can decide whether to be part of a server through a Discord welcome channel.
How To Make a Welcome Channel on Discord?
Creating a personalized message for everyone who joins a Discord channel is tiresome. It would work best to make a welcome channel where new users can get all the information they need. The information could be some greetings, a well-customized welcome message, and some instructions or guidelines.
You will need four steps to create a welcome channel on Discord. You need to create a server and a channel, edit the channel, and invite the MEE6 Discord bot.
Step #1: Create a Server
Here’s how to create a Discord server:
- Open the Discord app on your mobile device.
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner.
- Tap the “+” button at the bottom-left of the server list.
- Select “Create My Own.”
- Select either “For me and my friends” or “For a club or community.”
- Type your server’s name.
- Tap on the “Create Server” button.
- Tap “Skip” if you don’t want to share the server link immediately.
Step #2: Create the Channel
Before integrating MEE6, you may need to create a welcome channel. Follow these steps to make a welcome channel on Discord.
- Open the Discord app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner.
- Select your server from the left navigation.
- Tap on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Select “Create Channel” from the menu.
- Input the channel name. It’s best to name it “welcome-channel.”
- Select the “Text” as “Channel Type.”
- Tap “Create” in the top right corner.
Step #3: Edit Channel Settings
That is the first step to making a welcome channel on Discord, but you have to edit the settings. You can use the following steps to edit the settings of the welcome channel:
- Long press your created channel.
- Select “Edit Channel.”
- Select “Channel Permissions” from the left navigation.
- Tap on “Advanced View.”
- Tap on “@everyone.”
- Under “General Channel Permissions,” allow “View Channel” by tapping the green tick icon.
- Scroll to “Text Channel Permissions” and allow “Read Message History” by tapping the green tick icon.
- Disallow the “Send Message” option to ensure no one sends a message on the Welcome Channel.
Step #4: Integrate MEE6
After the simple mentioned processes, you can finish the process by integrating MEE6. The MEE6 is a recommendable third-party bot that sends customized messages to new channel users.
Here’s how to integrate MEE6 with Discord:
- Navigate to the MEE6 website on your favorite browser.
- Tap the blue “Add to Discord” button.
- Log in to Discord if necessary.
- Tap the “Authorize” button.
- Tap “Setup” next to your server.
- Tap “Continue” at the bottom.
- A permission prompt will appear on the screen; tap “Authorize.”
- Check the “I am human” checkbox when prompted.
- Under All Plugins, find “Welcome & Goodbye” and tap “Enable.”
- Tap “Yes” to confirm the action.
- Enable the “Send a message when a user joins the server” option.
- Select the channel where you would like to have a welcome message.
- Type the custom message you would like for the new users.
- Tap “Save” at the bottom.
Examples of Discord Welcome Messages To Use
You can use some of these suggestions as welcome messages for the new channel users:
- Feel free to join this community and connect with diverse and like-minded individuals
- Publishing of any illegal or inappropriate information is not allowed
- Harassment of any kind is prohibited on the channel
- Feel free to ask the support team any questions or clarifications
As per the article, making a welcome Discord channel is possible. It is a way to make the users comfortable as they familiarize themselves and know what is expected of them on the server.
Follow all the steps mentioned to make the experience of new users on the server seamless.