Working from home has been the case for many people since Covid-19 set foot in the world. Different platforms have been developed that allow people to work from home conveniently, and Microsoft Teams is one such application.
The tool is ideal for video calls and professional collaboration with members. However, when using the platform, you may often face issues, such as your status showing you are “Away” when it shouldn’t be.
According to Microsoft Teams, your status depicts your activity. When it detects inactivity on your computer, or you’ve switched the active application on your mobile, the status will change from “Active” to “Away.” To keep your status active, consider disabling the sleep feature on your PC. For the mobile app, ensure the Microsoft Teams application remains active. Still, you can set a custom status for your Microsoft Teams.
We will understand why Microsoft Teams show that you are “Away.” Also, we will discuss various ways you can use to keep your Microsoft Teams active.
Why Does Microsoft Teams Show “Away”?
Microsoft Teams is mainly used by students learning remotely and people working from home. You can use the platform to attend different video conferences and create teams to work on projects.
When working with a team, you can view the status of each person to know whether they are “Active” or “Away”.
Microsoft Teams updates this status after a given duration. When using the platform on your mobile, switching to another application will change your status to “Away”. For the case of the desktop Microsoft Teams, your status will automatically change once Microsoft Teams detects inactivity or when your computer goes to sleep.
Many users find it hard to keep their status active. Your status will change unless you keep moving the mouse or the application open.
We will see different tricks you can use to keep Microsoft Teams active.
How To Keep Microsoft Teams Active
The hardest part with keeping Microsoft Teams active is ensuring the platform detects activity, such as mouse movement, to confirm you are active. Again, you must ensure your computer doesn’t go to sleep.
Let’s see the different options you can use.
Method #1: Disable Sleep Mode
Your computer will automatically change your status after it goes to sleep mode. So, disable this feature.
- Open the Settings application on your PC.
- Locate the “System” tab and click on it.
- Next, click on the “Power” option.
- Click on the “Screen and sleep” section to expand it.
- Click on the option for “Never”.
With that, your PC won’t sleep, and the only remaining hassle is ensuring your PC detects mouse movement.
Method #2: Set a Custom Status
Sometimes, setting a custom message will confirm to people that you are active despite your status showing otherwise. That way, if someone wants to reach you, they can go ahead as your custom message confirms you are available.
You can set your custom status on your mobile and desktop.
- Open your Microsoft Teams application.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top.
- Click on the “Set status message” option.
- Enter your custom message that will assure people that you are available.
- Tap the dropdown menu under the duration option and specify for how long Microsoft Teams should display your custom status message.
- Lastly, click the “Done” button.
- Open the Microsoft Teams app.
- Click on your profile at the top-left.
- Tap on the “Set status message” option.
- Add your custom message.
- Click the “Clear after” and select the duration for which the custom message should display.
- Lastly, click “Done” for iOS or the checkmark for Android.
Method #3: Use a Mouse Jigger
With this option, you need to search for a mouse-moving application online and install it on your computer.
The work of the mouse jigger is to virtually make your mouse move, such that Microsoft Teams will still detect activity and keep your status “Active”.
Keeping your Microsoft Teams active is not straightforward. However, you can use the three methods presented in this guide.
The goal is to keep your PC active and ensure Microsoft Teams can detect activity. Still, you can set a custom status message.