There are many reasons for wanting to delete contacts on Telegram. It could be you’ve found new contacts on your Telegram contact list, or someone is annoying you, and you want to get rid of them.
Still, it could be Telegram has notified you someone has joined Telegram, and you don’t recognize the particular person. In that case, knowing how to delete contacts on Telegram is worth it.
You can delete contacts on Telegram using Android, iOS, and your computer. Here’s the general overview; open Telegram and click the contact you want to delete. On their profile, tap the three dots on the right and select the option for deleting the chat. Alternatively, you can delete all the synced contacts on Telegram and only add a contact that you want on Telegram from your contacts individually.
This article covers how you can delete contacts on Telegram. We will explain why you find strange contacts on Telegram and offer steps for deleting the contacts on various devices, including Android, iOS, and desktops. Stay tuned!
Why Am I Getting New Contacts on Telegram?
Telegram is available on multiple devices. You can access your account using the web, desktop, or mobile app. The bad news is that Telegram syncs your contacts across various devices. Therefore, if you access your account on a desktop recently used by another account, you will likely find strange contacts on your Telegram.
The syncing of contacts across devices makes you find you have strange contacts that you don’t know how they ended up on your Telegram. Before panicking, read the section below to learn how to get rid of these contacts.
How To Delete Contacts on Telegram
It can get annoying when you find strange contacts on Telegram. Luckily, we have a solution for removing these contacts. Follow the method that works for your device.
- Start by opening the Telegram app.
- Once opened, tap the three lines icon at the top.
- Click on Contacts from the menu options.
- Scroll through and locate the contact you want to delete.
- Click on the profile picture of the target contact.
- Once their profile opens, click the three dots on the right.
- Click the Delete contact/chat option.
- Lastly, confirm the action by clicking the Delete option again.
On iOS and Mac
For all Apple devices, use this guide.
- Open the Telegram app.
- Go to the Contacts tab.
- Locate your target contact and click on the name or profile image.
- Tap the Edit button at the top.
- Click the option for Delete Contact.
- Click Delete again in the confirmation prompt.
On Windows and Web
If using the Telegram app on Windows PC or accessing Telegram via the web on your browser, use the steps below.
- Open Telegram.
- Tap the Menu icon at the top.
- Click on Contacts.
- Locate your target contact.
- Tap on the picture or name.
- Click the Delete contact option. Still, you can click on edit and tap the delete contact option.
- On the confirmation prompt, click Delete again.
That’s it. Your contact is deleted, and you can repeat the steps to delete other Telegram contacts.
How To Delete Synced Contacts on Telegram
Most of the contacts on Telegram are synced from your contacts. You can undo this by deleting all synced contacts from Telegram. Follow the guide below.
- Open your Telegram app.
- Click on the three-line icon at the top.
- Click on Settings from the options.
- Tap the option for Privacy and Security.
- Select the Delete Synced Contacts option at the bottom. Still, you can disable the sync contacts option to avoid Telegram syncing your contacts.
- Tap Delete to confirm your action.
- Open the Telegram app and go to settings.
- Locate the Privacy and security option and click on it.
- Tap the Data settings option.
- Click delete Synced Contacts.
It’s a common thing to delete contacts on Telegram. Thankfully, this guide offers comprehensive steps for deleting contacts on Telegram on Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and via the browser. Use the method that suits your case.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. You can delete a single contact using Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and the browser. Moreover, you can delete all contacts by deleting the synced contacts, but that is only possible using the Telegram mobile app. The complete steps to follow are presented in this article. Refer to the steps that work for your device.
Telegram syncs contacts on all devices where you access your account. Therefore, the strange contacts you find are from the devices you’ve used to access Telegram.