You can quickly get frustrated when Messenger keeps opening itself at startup.
Windows users have experienced this problem for quite some time, and unless you understand what causes this and how you can disable it, Messenger will keep opening at startup.
When this happens, you will notice your Windows will start to lag as more resources are used to open Messenger at startup when you don’t need to use it.
So, how can you stop Messenger from opening on startup?
There are three ways to stop Messenger from opening on startup. First, disable it from the taskbar by opening the Task Manager and disabling Messanger. Secondly, open your Windows “Settings” application and access the list of apps. Then, locate the startup apps and disable Messenger from the listed apps. Lastly, open the startup folder using the “Run” program and find the Messenger folder in the list. You must restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
We will discuss why Messenger keeps opening on startup. Afterward, we will cover the steps to disable Messenger from repeatedly opening itself on startup on your PC.
Why Does Messenger Keep Opening on Startup?
When you open your computer, you will notice that some apps must open by default on startup.
However, applications like Messenger don’t have to keep opening at startup. You can quickly get frustrated whenever Messenger opens itself when you boot up your computer.
Besides, when Messenger keeps opening on startup, it will affect your system’s processing speed, causing a strain on your memory.
Again, when Messenger opens this way, it takes much more time to load than when you open it yourself.
If you are experiencing an issue with Messenger opening on startup, it means Messenger is enabled in the list of startup apps. It could be that Messenger enabled itself as a startup app during installation.
Still, it could be that Messenger has been set to start itself when you boot up your PC automatically. If you face such a case, the best option is to disable this feature to prevent Messenger from persisting to open itself on every startup.
How To Stop Messenger Opening on Startup
Having to put up with Messenger opening itself on startup is straining.
Let’s discuss three ways to disable this option on your PC to end Messenger’s opening on startup.
Using Task Manager
You can access the list of startup applications in your task manager section and disable Messenger.
Let’s see the steps you should follow:
- Click the Start button on your PC.
- Search for “Task Manager“ and open it.
- On the Task Manager window, click the “Startup“ tab.
- Locate the “Messenger“ application and right-click on it.
- Once selected, click the “Disable“ button at the bottom.
- Close the Task Manager window and restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
You will notice that Messenger will no longer keep opening itself on every startup.
Disable the Startup Folder
Follow these steps:
- Open the “Run” program by pressing the “Windows + R” keyboard keys.
- Once the “Run” program opens, type “shell:startup” in the text box.
- Click the “OK” button.
- Once the startup folder opens, locate the “Messenger” file.
- Right-click the Messenger file and click the “Delete” option.
- Close the window and restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Disable From Windows Settings
From the settings application of your Windows settings, you can disable the option for Messenger startup.
Follow these steps:
- Click the Start button.
- Search for “Settings“ and open it.
- Select “Apps.”
- Click on the “Startup“ option from the listed options.
- Locate the “Messenger” application from the list.
- Turn off the toggle on its right.
You can now restart your PC, and you won’t experience any more issues with your Messenger application restarting itself.
Messenger restarts itself because it is enabled in the startup apps on your PC.
We’ve covered three ways to disable Messenger from the startup apps.
Using any of the listed methods, you will manage to disable Messenger and save yourself the frustration of having to close Messenger at every startup.