Do you want to play audio through Discord?
If you wish to share a hot playlist you created with your friends or play some background music as you discuss a school topic with your study group members, Discord lets you share audio in several ways.
This feature makes Discord one of the most preferred apps by gamers, music lovers, study groups, and more.
But how exactly do you play audio through Discord?
To play audio through Discord, set up your computer’s microphone, open Discord, and navigate to the “Voice & Video” settings. Select your input and output devices and set the desired input and output volume. Close the settings window, then play your audio.
We prepared this article to show you how to play audio through Discord.
Discord was initially a social platform for gamers and streamers to come together, play, chat and enjoy each other’s company as they competed.
Over time the app has gained popularity among other notable groups like study groups, entertainment communities, film and TV show fans, and more.
Artists also use the app to grow their fan base, and one way they do this is by sharing audio files on their servers.
Users can exchange texts, documents, images, voice hats, and video calls in direct messages or servers. One feature that makes Discord cool is letting users play audio through the app.
Think about sharing your soulful Spotify playlist with your family during a sad ordeal.
You could also play recorded audio with friends in the background as you discuss topics on the different servers. For instance, if you created a server for your literature study group to discuss
Sound effects in films, you could pre-record theme sounds and soundtracks to a popular movie and then play the audio through Discord as the members discuss each sound.
Whatever the kind of audio you want to play through Disord, there is a way to achieve that. Let’s dive into the different ways you can play audio through Discord below.
Playing Audio Through Discord
Playing audio such as music, gaming background sound, and recordings is popular on Discord. There are different ways to play audio on the app, including:
- Using the mic on your computer
- Via third-party music bots
- Using Spotify
Let’s discuss each technique in detail below.
If you have a downloaded playlist or audio on your computer that you want to share with Discord friends and followers, you can tweak some settings on your computer and Discord to play the audio.
Follow the steps below to play audio through your computer mic on Discord:
- Set up your computer’s microphone. If you don’t know how to set up the microphone on your computer, this video illustrates how to do it on a Windows PC.
- Open Discord.
- Click on the settings button on the bottom left.
- Select “Voice & Video” from the left navigation.
- Select your “Input Device” and “Output Device.”
- Set the desired input and output volumes.
- Choose the “Input Mode” that better suits you.
- Close the settings window.
- Play your audio.
This technique needs technical know-how to set up your computer mic properly and tweak the Discord settings appropriately to pick up any audio you play in the background.
Spotify is one of the apps that you can integrate with Discord. You only need to connect the two apps to play audio from Spotify through Discord. Here’s how to play audio through Discord using Spotify:
- Open Spotify.
- Select the audio you want to play through Discord. You can create a playlist or select an existing one.
- Open Discord.
- Select the server where you want to play the audio.
- Choose a voice channel. If you don’t have a voice channel on this server, click the plus icon and create one.
- Click the settings icon at the bottom left.
- Select “Connections” from the left navigation.
- Choose Spotify. A new tab loads to connect your Spotify and Discord accounts. Close the tab once the two accounts connect.
- Go back to Discord and turn on the “Display on profile” toggle.
- Play a song on Spotify and go to any text chat.
- Tap the “+” button in the bottom left corner of the chat.
- Click the “Invite to Listen to Spotify” button.
This feature is only available for premium Discord accounts.
One of the easiest ways to play audio, especially music, through Discord is by using third-party bots. There are more than a dozen bots that you can invite to your server to search and play audio.
Some popular bots like Rythm and Groovy no longer work, but you can choose from the following working bots:
- Jockie Music
- Chip bot
For this tutorial, we will use the FredBoat bot. Follow the steps below to play audio through Discord using the FredBoat bot:
- Go to FredBoat on your favorite web browser.
- Click the “Invite To Server” button.
- Select the server you want to play the audio in.
- Click “Continue.”
- Click “Authorize.”
- Confirm you’re human by clicking on the captcha button.
- Select your server again.
- Click the “Login With Discord” button.
- Click “Authorize” at the bottom.
- Go back to Discord and join any voice channel on your server.
- Go back to FredBoat and click the “Music Room” button at the top.
- Click the “Go To Music Room” button next to your server.
- Search for any song and play it. You can also create a queue. You can also use the commands provided by the bot. For instance, if you want to play Holy by Justin Bieber, type “/play Holy by Justin Bieber.” The song will be added to your queue.
You can play audio through Discord using your computer’s in-built Mic, via Spotify by connecting your Discord and Spotify account and using third-party bots like FredBoat.
The Spotify and third-party bots techniques are the best because they let you search your favorite audio files on the internet and play them directly on Discord.
Moreover, you need to set up your mic properly and tweak the Discord settings appropriately for the microphone method to work seamlessly.